Chapter two

Chapter two

The night came quickly and Avika had no idea as to where she should hide or what excuse she was going to make. She knows why he is trying to be sweet and interested. Now that he finally had the opportunity to talk to her, he is going to leer her in his sweet talks and demand sex. Then what? She will get pregnant and will have to look after the kids and he will get uninterested in her and expect her to take care of his mother, house and kids.

She knows the story too well to fall into the trap herself. And she is not going to sit back and watch her life become the same.

It was eight already and Avika had made the one thing she loved and could cook it without any guidance or mishap. Rajma chawal. She could die for the dish and could even kill for it. So don't test her.

"I'll set up the table, you go and bring the food." Parul instructed and Avika obeyed, leaving for the kitchen.

"Lao mere rajma chawal lao!" Yug appeared out of nowhere, startling Parul. She gave him a look which he returned with a sweet smile. "Mummy aap aise naa dekhein, mujhe aapki hi nazar lag jayegi." The boy said blushing but he didn't hear his mother muttering 'Hey bhagwaan, kya hai yeh ladka?' under her breath as she put the plates across.

(Bring my rajma chawal!) (Mom don't stare at me like that, you'll give me an evil eye.) (Oh God, what is this boy?)

Meanwhile Avika wondered if Kiaan would purposely come early because of what he had said at the office as usually, he came home somewhere around nine or even after that. It didn't matter to her because if he was late then she would gladly eat first and finish her other chores.

When she brought the rajma out, Yug eyed it hungrily making her chuckle. The boy didn't wait for anyone and started filling his plate causing Parul to hit his shoulder. He whined but waited until the bowl of rice was set down on the table. Just then the front door opened and Avika tensed. What?

Parul smiled cheerfully and went to hug her son, and Yug took this opportunity to concentrate on his food. Avika quietly sneaked back into the kitchen to avoid him at the pretence of getting him water. When she returned, he was already gone and she looked at Parul. "Haath muh dhone gaya hai. Aajayega." It felt like she was assuring her that he had not ran away when it would be the opposite. She would run away any time and not face him.

(He has gone to wash his face and hands. He'll be back)

When Kiaan returned, he had changed into his white tee and grey pants and as he neared the table, he passed Avika a small smile which she ignored and forwarded the glass of water to him. The next thing she knows she almost dropped the glass as his fingers brushed against hers and she stilled. Her eyes met his and she swore she saw a flicker of mirth dancing in them.

She retracted her hand quickly and settled down ignoring his presence. As she was filling her plate with the rice, she heard him speak. "The rotis were cute today." He commented and Parul laughed lightly. Yug looked up from his plate hearing the laughter, "Well of course they were cute. Meri Bhabhi ne jo banayi thi." He teased, winking at her.

(My sister-in-law made them.)

Avika's hand paused and she pursed her lips in annoyance at Kiaan's statement. Well, I know they were shapeless, he didn't have to make fun of me for that.

After his small jab at her innocent rotis, no one said anything and all ate in silence. Parul was done first and Avika told her to leave the dishes in the sink and that she will wash them later. She protested a little but, in the end, gave up and left for her room to get some rest.