An Extra Chair

When you entered the Princes tent that evening, after being searched, you noticed how the scenery inside looked a bit more festive, the stew had been replaced by a plate with what looked like a roasted bird and vegetables (at least you hoped that those were vegetables, the food of the Underlands was still mostly a mystery to you) and the wooden bowls with porcelain plates, there was a variety of candles tinting everything in a warm hue. If you wouldn't have known better, you could've mistaken this for a romantic dinner. But this was no fairytale and you were no damsel in distress.

Next thing you noticed was Bucciarati standing next to the table, his back turned towards you as it looked like he was reading over something. You coughed, successfully getting his attention by doing so.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you would arrive this early." he gave a slight smile while looking over his shoulder before he began to stack papers and scrolls to put them aside quickly.

"Please have a seat!" he gestured to one of the ends of the table, "My other guest should arrive soon. I hope you like goose?"

Something felt off, he behaved reserved and cold and at the mention of another guest, you knew that something was up.

Would Abbaccio join you, so that he could safely tell you that he decided to execute his prisoners, that there was never a chance he would let them join the rebellion?

Then the tent flaps moved to the side and all your worries were gone as you saw who was entering. The tall white haired man looked as stoic as usual, but even you could see the hint of relief in his eyes. It looked like he had lost weight and you were sure that if his hair wasn't already white he would have a few more grew streaks in it.

Without wasting any time you trapped Risotto in a tight embrace and you could swear you heard him chuckle at that.

You really thought Bucciarati would have bad news for you.

With a slight edge to his voice the prince spoke:"Ah, we're complete now. Let's sit down and discuss business."

Discuss business...
Did that mean... ?

"Are you finally letting Risotto and his men fight in the rebellion?" the words burst out of you before you could hold them back, slapping a hand over your mouth you apologized for potentially overstepping any boundaries.

"Let's put some food into our stomachs first and then we'll see."

Risotto had been silent this entire time, observing the exchange in front of him. During your travels, you had noticed that Risotto was more of the quiet type, so this wasn't unusual for him, but you thought he would at least say something, anything to make the prince think about his choice.

The dinner was eerie quiet, Bucciarati didn't make an effort to start a conversation like he did the week before and everytime you tried to talk to any of them about a certain topic you were shut down rather fast. So you just sat and ate in silence.

At least the food was good. Risotto probably hadn't eaten properly since they arrived at the camp. He clearly held himself back from wolfing down his food, he wouldn't humiliate himself in front of Bucciarati and eat like one of his starving orphans, that he picked off the streets of the villages.

Gracefully he cut his meat with the knife, savoring the taste on his tongue.

When everyone had finished the portion on their plates three pairs of eyes met from across the table. Bucciarati and Risotto waiting for each other to make the first move, while you just watched as the tension grew, you were scared one party would lunge across the table to choke the other, even if there was no real reason for that.

The hostility in their eyes was at its peak, when Risotto broke the silence.

"What did you want to discuss, my Prince?" his deep voice sent shivers down your body after this silent dinner. His choice of words was also very surprising, considering they either refered to him as Bucciarati or just called him the prince. Risotto clearly tried to flatter him and prove that they weren't loyal towards the king anymore.

Bucciarati was smart and you knew Risotto would have to try harder than that. Luckily Risotto wasn't stupid either, so you dared to hope that the outcome would be positive.

Bucciarati eyed Risottosl wearily, but his expression remained mostly neutral. "I invited you here today because I think you and your men might be of use to me in my fight against the usurper who stole my birthright and plunged the Underlands into ruin. Each of your men already has experience with fighting and they know how to handle their companions. Not only that, but I'm sure that I am correct with my assumption that you can tell me a bit more about the king himself."

There was a long pause before Risotto hummed in agreement," The king keeps mostly to himself, neither me nor my men ever met him in person, he let's his right hand, Doppio, manage everything. Doppio is also the who lures in humans near the oak entrance, using his companion, a rockfrog, then he makes a spectacle out of killing them in the town square by letting them slowly bleed out. Why Diavolo makes him do this, no one knows. People in the capital murmur that it is to make them lose hope that a human savior will ever defeat him, others say that he drinks their blood to get more powerful. The first one sounds more reasonable I'd say."

Risotto stops, taking a sip of water while looking at Bucciarati, who nods at him to continue.

" The King has his special guards and bounty hunters, we only ever met two of them, but believe me when I tell you that if the people call me the boogeyman, they should have even more terrifying names for those two. I think when we were attacked it was a different duo, so those two probably remained at the capital to protect their precious king."

"Can you give me more information about the people who defy him, potential allies maybe?"

"Most people are too scared of him to openly defy Diavolo, especially in the capital. The moss hills are not in his stronghold, mostly because he deems them irrelevant. The people there have something like their own governor who is under Diavolos command, so he still keeps an eye on them. His focus lays on the fluorescent fields where he grows his supply of red weed, but I'm sure you already knew this.

Also... " Risotto made a break to signify the importance of what he was about to say.

" Illuso saw on his plans once that he heavily guards the tower of lights, even if it is just a small outpost without much relevance. My guess is that he is hiding something there."

Bucciarati nodded thoughtful, his eyes glued to a map that hung near the table."So you think he might have a weakness he's hiding from us in the tower of lights of all places?"

Risotto nodded.

"I can tell you are telling me the truth, but why should Diavolo hide a potential weak point to his reign so far away from him, it would make more sense if he kept it in the capital, close to him, where the rebellion can't reach him."

Both you and Risotto shrugged at that, the gesture making you smile a bit.

"Now, I have to say that you and your men behaved well while under arrest, you risked your lifes to make sure that they," he gestured to you, "would arrive here to aid me. And you provided me with some useful information. Narancia told me how you didn't show any suspicious behavior while he was traveling with you and even if not everyone here might trust you, they have to admit that you helped the rebellion a whole lot without asking for anything back. There are also two people vouching for you, the first one sitting here at this table, the second being Narancia."

That was a surprise for you, you had told Narancia that you would vouch for Risottos men, but you didn't expect him to do the same.

"But before you get ahead of yourself," there was a dangerous golden gleam in his eyes as he said this, "if ever hear even a word that you or one of your men is planning on betraying me, I will have every single one of you executed without hesitation. That said, I, Prince Bruno Bucciarati, welcome you Risotto Nero and your men into the rebellion, I expect you to fight fierce and honorable."