Chapter Thirteen--From Now On

Phineas sat in the bar by himself wishing he hadn't screwed anything up. He thought back to the moment when he convinced Phillip to join his circus here. Now his life was in question and it was all his fault. If he had just listened to him when he tried to tell him that he was going to regret his decision, none of this would've happened. It hurt, even more, knowing just how much he grew to be a father figure to his daughter when he couldn't be. He heard the door open but he couldn't see who it was. When he finally did see a small figure on top of the table, he sighed pouring some more of his drink. He didn't need to think about who he was. He just knew.

"Figured you'd end up here feeling sorry for yourself," Tom whispered. Just then, he heard the door open more and for the rest of the circus to join him. He turned around spotting them.

"Look, folks. If you're here for your money, it's all gone. All of it. Nothing to------," he informed them.

"Come on Barnum. Just let us talk. We're not angry at you. In fact, not a single one of us cares about the money," Lettie interrupted. "Our parents were ashamed of us like the way your Father was. They hated us our whole lives only to throw us away like we were.........."

"Freaks," he finished.

"Exactly. You pulled us out of the shadows. I mean, think about it. Not only are you giving up on your family, you're giving up on us. Maybe you were a fraud. Maybe you did break your wife and daughter's hearts. Maybe you were just doing this business to make a profit. But you can't argue with the outcome," she admitted. W.D. spoke up next.

"And the circus: that was our home. We want our home back." P.T. thought for a second. Maybe they were right after all.

"I saw the sun begin to dim and felt that winter wind blow cold. A man learns who is there for him when the glitter fades and the walls won't hold. 'Cause from then rumble. One remain can only be what's true. If all was lost, is more I gained 'cause it led me back to you," he sang before standing up and walking over to the wall with photos he had that summarized the last few months.

"I drank champagne with kings and queens, the politicians praised my name," he sang walking past a picture of him with Jenny until he found the one he was looking for.

"But those were someone else's dreams, the pit bulls of the man I became." He stopped again spotting a news article of Jenny's first performance. The headline wrote, "Great Crowds Greet Jenny Lind."

"For years and years, I've chased their cheers, the crazy speed of always needing more," he sang holding a photo of him and his family together. He smiled remembering how life used to be before he got famous.

"But when I stop and I see you here, I remember who all this was for," he belted putting the photo back and joining the circus. He put an arm around Lettie as a thank you for protecting his daughter during the fire.

"And from now on, these eyes will not be blinded by the lights," he sang ordering something for the rest of the rest of the group. The bartender smiled and did as he asked.

"And from now on, what's waited for tomorrow starts tonight. It starts tonight," he announced as everyone cheered for him.

"And let this promise in me start, like an anthem in my heart," he sang swinging Lettie around in her chair as she laughed like a maniac but he didn't seem to mind. Everyone else ran around with their glasses.

"From now on, from now on, from now on," he sang.

"And we will come back home. And we will come back home. Home again. And we will come back home. And we will come back home. Home again. And we will come back home. And we will come back home. Home again," everyone belt dancing around with each other.