Chapter Five

Neelanjana gave a withering glance at the girl who was seated beside Harshvardhan, dismissing her as of no import. She need not be anxious about her position in court and in the Prince's life. The girl appeared docile enough, one of those weak and helpless women who spent their lives in the palace pining for attention. Her life would not be different from that of the other women in the inner quarters of the palace, a forgettable one.

She stepped into the middle of the room, where the lighting fell on her, her beauty on display for all to admire. Curtsying to the king and the queen, and the other dignitaries, she advanced with slow and purposeful steps towards where the newlyweds were seated. Kneeling in front of them, she turned to the gathering, her clear, bell-like voice ringing out. "It is an occasion of immense joy for us that our prince has entered into holy matrimony. To mark this momentous day, I, Neelanjana, the chief courtesan, welcome you all to an evening of music and dance."

All chatter came to a stop as the guests were soon engrossed in the sensuous movements of the dancers and the lively music. More women, all dressed in colorful flared skirts and beaded bodices, their veils drawn over their faces, joined the dance, performing amazing tricks with burning earthen lamps and earthen pots. The music played on drums, cymbals, and stringed instruments, held everyone spellbound. The revelries went on well into the night, with the wine flowing and the sweetmeats being served to the guests.

At the end of the celebrations, Neelanjana again took center stage. Bowing in front of the audience, she acknowledged the extravagant praise lavished on the artists and on her. Then, gathering her skirts, she advanced to where the prince was reclining against the cushions. "My lord, did you not like the display?" she inquired with a raised brow, kneeling down in front of him.

"When have I ever not enjoyed anything presented by you, my dear?" the Prince counter-questioned with an indulgent smile.

Priyadarshini was surprised to see his manner. Gone was the boorish man who taunted her every time they met. His place was taken by a gentle lover. She had never even imagined in her dreams that the devil had such a side to his nature. Was she the only woman unfortunate enough to ignite his wrath? Or was Neelanjana the only woman who lived in his heart, the thought sneaked into her mind stealthily.

To show his appreciation, the Prince took off his ring, a rare large ruby encircled with diamonds, and threw it at the courtesan, who caught it with a laugh, tucking the ring inside her bodice. Some of the guests followed suit, lavishing pearls or gold coins, which were quickly picked up by the dancers. A sumptuous feast was served, the guests eating till they were replete.

*****

Somdutt had already left with his entourage, not comfortable with spending the night in the enemy territory. He had no love lost for his son-in-law and did not trust him a bit. He would not put it past the Prince to not finish him off in his sleep. As he had seen, honor did not mean much to the people of Jaigarh. At least, his daughter was happy and that was all that mattered. "My lord, I did not much like the way the Prince and his men treated us. He should have been there at the gate to wish you godspeed, but he was engaged in a banter with that courtesan," the commander-in-chief of the army, who had accompanied Somdutt, remarked a frown on his face.

"What else do you expect from them, Senapati* Sumer? It is enough that they did not stab us in the back while we left," Somdutt answered jovially. He would breathe easy only when he was back in his own territory. There was a time when he had loved combats, but with age had come wisdom and a longing for peace. Constant battles had weakened his kingdom. Jaigarh, which was bigger and more prosperous, seemed not to have suffered so badly as his own. Still, war never brought anyone happiness. As it was, the independent kingdoms of the North were plagued by constant invasion from foreigners. It was the combined might of all which would be needed for repelling those invasions. He just wished that Jaigarh would realize the importance of allying with its neighbors and maintaining peace in the region.