Chapter Twelve

The commander of the army strode through the front hall of the palace. Spotting a guard, he stopped to inquire about the whereabouts of the Prince, then continued towards the audience hall where the Prince was in deep counsel with the King. Entering, he saw them, heads close together, discussing the current political situation. What with the imminent danger of foreign invasion, no kingdom could neglect the security of its borders. That, along with internal rebellions, was enough to give any ruler sleepless nights. He cleared his throat, then bowed to them.

"What brings you here, Hiraman?" the king queried.

"Sire, our spies have spotted Sunder Singh and his men. They have crossed over the borders of our kingdom and entered into another. I am afraid if we do not pursue them, they may rise again in revolt."

"What do you propose we do? Are our forces ready to march?" the king asked, scratching his beard in contemplation.

"Sire, if you allow me, I can proceed with my men at first light on the morrow," Hiraman assured the king.

Harshvardhan, who all this while had been listening to the exchange silently, spoke now. "Father, allow me to lead this expedition. Sunder Singh is a sly opponent. I wish to see his end for our peace of mind."

*****

Priyadarshini took a deep breath, inhaling the heady fragrance of jasmines that hung in the air. She was sitting on a marble bench in the walled garden, embroidering a piece of silk to while away her time, though her mind was preoccupied with the fact that it had been two days since the Prince had dined with her. Where was he? When she had inquired from the maids, they had expressed ignorance of his whereabouts. Why was she so concerned, she questioned herself. What was it to her if he did or did not dine with her? She should be happy that he had left her alone to have her meals in peace, rather than the constant bickering they engaged in. Lost in her thoughts, she scarcely noticed the woman who ambled towards her, until the sound of her footsteps echoing around the walled confines of the garden, broke into her reverie. Raising her head, she came face to face with the one woman she had no wish to see.

"Greetings Princess. I hope you are enjoying your days here, in our Jaigarh," she spoke, her tone implying that Priyadarshini was still an outsider. Neelanjana leaned on the marble column near the bench, observing the woman who sat there, with a thoughtful gaze.

Priyadarshini nodded, resenting her implication, but decided to ignore it. "Do not worry about me, I quite like the way my days are spent. Do you visit me for some matter of great importance or do I assume it is a social visit?"

Neelanjana broke into her tinkling laugh and pushed her tumbling curls back with a careless flick of her hand. The woman was really bewitching in her daring silken robes, accentuating her curvaceous figure to advantage, thought Priyadarshini, feeling like a plain sparrow in front of a majestic peacock. No wonder, the Prince was besotted with her.

"I heard that the Prince has been dining with you and has granted you permission to ride and train in swordplay. You seem to have won his favor, my dear Princess," Neelanjana remarked with an artful glance toward her.

"It would seem so, though I think you know him better, so you would be able to decide for yourself whether I am in favor with him or not?"

Neelanjana shrugged nonchalantly. "So, you wish to play on words. Then let me give you some plain ones. He may have shown some civility towards you but don't be fooled, my dear. You should not put great store by his actions. He may dine with you, Princess, but where do you think he spends his nights?"

Priyadarshini felt her heart sink at the woman's words but decided not to give away her distress. Trying her best to appear unaffected, she spoke, "I do not care for your insinuations. As a royal princess, it does not behove me to bandy words with a courtesan. So, I suggest that you leave. Anyway, I choose not to believe a word you say."