Chapter 2

I couldn't find Jackson or Kayla in the main hall, which itself was an acre of hardwood floor. with gray stone walls. Against the right wall, there was a hearth the size of a bed. Columns supporting the ceiling were made from rough-hewn tree trunks. Polished shields gleam on the walls and the entire place seemed to be illuminated from every direction. It had trophies, medals and other awards hanging up on one wall, and black banners, some with silver wolves and some with golden lions on them, which are the school mascots, hung down from the ceiling. Since I couldn't find Jackson in the main hall, I decided to head to my dorm and unpack. But on my way to the dorm I noticed a tall guy with sandy blonde hair cut military-style and brown eyes, wearing jeans and a t-shirt with an unbuttoned red flannel shirt over it talking to new students. He also had a purple cape on, showing his rank as a praetor of the Legacy Academy army. "Luke!" I called as I ran over. He looked over and smiled as he saw me running over. "Hey James," he said. "Hey there's someone I want you to meet." We walked over to a fair-skinned girl with curly brown hair and golden eyes. She was wearing jeans, a green t-shirt and a purple cape similar to Luke's. She must be Luke's co-praetor, I thought. Luke put his arm around my shoulders as the girl turned around. "Hey Luke. Whos this?" she asked as she smiled at us. "Hey Catherine. This is my little brother James." he said. Catherine held out her hand to me. "Hi James, Luke's told me a lot about you. It's nice to finally meet you." she said as we shook hands. "It's nice to finally meet you too Catherine." I was about to ask a question when the school clock tower struck noon. "I gotta get to my dorm! I'll catch up with you guys later!" I called as I waved and ran off.

When I finally got to my dorm Jackson was already there. So was a elfish latino boy with fiery amber eyes and curly black hair. They were both sitting at two of the canopy beds. There were three canopy beds, three desks, and a huge window that took up an entire wall that overlooked the western side of the island. The whole room looked like a studio apartment with three other smaller rooms on either side of me. "Sup, Im David Gonzalez." Said the latino boy. "Hi, I'm James." I said as I walked over to the canopy bed closest to the window. As soon as I sat down, the drapes on the bed turned from white to gray with owl feather designs on it . I noticed that the drapes on Jackson's bed looked like the canopy of the forest back home, and the drapes on David's bed looked like a flame. Since we didn't have anything else to do until dinner, Jackson, David and I spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking, getting to know each other and comparing our class schedules. Next thing I knew, it was five o'clock, time for dinner.