Chapter 24

We ran straight to my house and made a beeline for the guest room where we set down Jackal Kid on the bed. The guest room had hardwood floors, a night stand with a lamp next to a green sheeted bed that matched the drapes. Kayla and Luke ran in with a first aid kit. "Take off the mask so we can give him a healing potion. James, you've been studying healing magic, get over here." Kayla ordered. I rushed forward, closed my eyes, raised my hands over him, and started chanting in a singsong tone. My hands began emitting warm golden light and I could sense the Jackal Boy's breathing steady and the concussion healing. The jackal boy's eyes flew open and he sat bolt upright, causing his mask to fly off. "Who are you people!? Why am I here!?" he demanded. "I- wait, aren't you a student at Legacy academy?" I asked. When his mask had flown off I had recognized him immediately from divination class and care of magical creatures class. "Yes, I'm a student there. What's it to you?" he said. "Are you shadow bringers? The last thing I need is to be kidnapped before my test in two weeks." He took out his knife and had an all too familiar look in his eyes, the look of a cornered animal ready to pounce. Madelynn walked forward with her hands in a placating gesture. "Calm down, we aren't shadow bringers. We go to Legacy Academy too. One of your skeleton soldiers knocked a shadow bringer's staff out of their hand and it smacked the back of your head," she said. Jackal boy pointed his dagger at Madelynn's throat and she backed away in surprise "Don't try your mind tricks on me siren." he spat out that last word as if that were the worst insult he could think of. Madelynn flinched in surprise. "Siren?" I asked. Madelynn's eyes turned pink and began to glow as she clenched her fists. "Never call me a Siren again or I'll send you to the deepest, darkest part of the underworld." she snapped at Jackal Boy. Trinity reached over and placed a hand on Madelynn's shoulder. "It's ok Maddy. Calm down. Deep breaths, like we practiced." Trinity said calmly. Madelynn took a few deep breaths, her eyes returned to normal and she relaxed her muscles. Then she stormed out of the room to calm down. I glared daggers at Jackal Boy and after we interrogated him we found out he goes by Anubis, he's a child prodigy, he's only ten but went to legacy academy four years early because of the whole prodigy thing, and he's a necromancer. "So you're named after the god of death and you're a necromancer? Isn't that ironic." Grace said sarcastically. "It's a nickname, and before you ask no, I will not tell you my real name," he said. We all nodded in understanding and left him to get some rest. I led my friends (minus Madelynn) to the other two guest rooms after they contacted their families. I set out some blankets and pillows in both rooms for them with Jackson and David in one room and Grace, Trinity and Madelynn in the other. Kayla insisted that the boys and girls be separated then she sent me off to find Madelynn.

I found Madelynn outside on the back porch with freshly fallen snow blanketing the ground as more came to join it. "Maddy? You ok?" I asked. She turned around, in surprise. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's normal, I grew up in the water realm and with my ability to make people do what I say, everyone called me a siren. They were basically calling me a monster." she said, her eyes watering. "Maddy, you're not a monster," I said with my hand on her shoulder. "You're a strong, smart, kind, pretty, amazing person. You're one of my best friends and I'm sure the others would agree." The realization of what I said dawned on me and my face reddened. "Did you just call me pretty?" she said, her face as red as mine. "I-it's getting late, we should go get some sleep." I said leading her to the guest room where Trinity and Grace were. "Well, goodnight James." She said, "Good night Maddy." I said before walking off to my room where I would soon be assaulted by the same dream I've had all week.