Prologue

I began running back home from the woods with my long brown hair in a tangled mess and my forest green dress dirtied. I know what you're thinking. Who is this strange looking hobbit? Well I'm not a hobbit I'm a dwelf which is a half dwarf and elf to clarify. I'm adopted by the Bagginess. I never knew who my parents were, but that's alright. I'm happy with my adopted family though it would be nice to know who my parents were.
*************
When I neared my home I saw a tall man wearing a gray cloak and pointed hat talking to my brother Bilbo. "Good morning." I heard Bilbo greeted the stranger once I reached the house and walked past the stranger going through a gate and joining Bilbo standing next to him. "What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning? Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" The stranger replied. I looked at him unsure how to respond to that. "All of them at once I suppose." Bilbo said, seemingly confused as well. "Hi, can we help you?" I asked the man. "I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure." the stranger answered. My eyes went wide at the mention of an adventure, oh how I would love to go on one. "Adventure!?" I said feeling excited. "An adventure..." Bilbo said with a shake of his head in disapproval. "I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things; make you late for dinner." Bilbo went on. "Well that sounds fun! Count me in!" I said with a raise of my hand. Earning me a smile from the stranger. "No you are not." Bilbo said, pulling my arm down. "Good morning." Bilbo said again, grabbing my hand and dragging me up the walkway to the door of our house. "To think that I would, should have lived to be 'good morning-ed' and greeted by Belladonna Took's son and daughter, as if I were selling buttons at the door." The stranger said sternly. I let go of Bilbo's hand. "I beg your pardon?" Bilbo asked. I looked at the man in confusion. How does he know us? I wondered. "You've changed, and not for the better, Bilbo Baggins. Except for you Mila Baggins, I see you haven't changed at all and I am most grateful for that." the man answered. "I'm sorry, do we know you?" I asked. "Well you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf! And Gandalf means... me." replied the man with a hopeful smile at us. "Gandalf? Not Gandalf the wandering wizard who made such excellent fireworks? Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve!" I said in recognition. "No idea you were still in business." Bilbo commented. "Where else should I be?" Gandalf questioned Bilbo. Bilbo cleared his throat in response, not wanting to answer Gandalf's question. "Well, I'm pleased to find you remember something about me... even if it is only for my fireworks." Gandalf said. "Well, that's decided. It'll be very good for you both! And most amusing for me." Gandalf said with a smile. "This means we're going on an adventure?" I asked Gandalf unsure that I heard right. "Why of course Mila!" Gandalf answered. I smiled at the confirmation. "I shall inform the others." Gandalf said, beginning to walk away. "Inform the others?" I said slowly. "No, no, no... wait! We do not want any adventures here, thank you! Not today. Not... I suggest you try over the hill, or across the water." Bilbo said quite loudly. I frowned at this, so much for getting out of The Shire. "Good morning!" Bilbo said firmly, then turned around and hurried into the house leaving me with Gandalf. "You still have your sword, bow and arrows?" Gandalf asked. "Yes, but how-" I started to ask, but Gandalf cut me off. "Excellent! And I am right, you know about it being very good for him and for you as well." Gandalf replied and then walked up to the green circular door of the house and drew a symbol of some sort on it. "Oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you Mr. Gandalf! It just got repainted a week ago." I said anxiously. Gandalf then descended the path and stopped by me. "Don't worry about it Mila, it will be quite alright in the end." Gandalf said and then left. I stared after his retreating figure in awe and then turned around and headed on into the house.