Chapter Forty-One.

Nyshard was pretty good with keeping his emotions at bay. Had it not been for the clipped sound of his voice when he told Syrion that he would now enjoy to dance with me himself, I wouldn't have noticed anything. His eyes didn't give him away, nor did his posture. Had it not been for Syrion's last wink in my direction, I wouldn't have noticed much of Nyshard's mood until he took my in his arms. They were still playing much slower music, and he pulled me close to his chest, closer than I'd usually seen people dance to this kind of music.

He didn't say anything, but I felt his warm hand at my back and the other one holding my own, my chest almost touching his as he slowly moved us across the dancefloor.

Syrion's shield was gone with him and even though I now felt that Nyshard was probably pissed for whatever reason, dancing with him was just... different. Of course, I had no experience, I had only danced a short time with Caaln, Rhydomir and Syrion before, but dancing with Nysh was just something else.

I was painfully aware of his proximity but we danced almost a whole song in silence, when he finally spoke in my mind 'Lesson number seven. Don't laugh too much in the presence of another man.'

Frowning, I looked at him, expected him to scowl at me and was preparing to walk away from him because of his rudeness, but much to my surprise, he was smirking.

'Why? Because people could think I enjoy myself?'

'No, because people would think you admire another man.'

'And if I do?'

His hand at my back tensed slightly when he answered 'Then I'll make sure that you... get what you want. I promised you that. But not tonight.'

I closed my eyes to keep my tears at bay as we slowly danced on the marble floor.

Nyshard wasn't jealous. Heck, why should he be?

He was just worrying about the impression others got, he hadn't interrupted me dancing with Syrion because it had bothered him or because the two of us had been dancing too close for his liking. No. It was none of that. It was just bad timing. It was all a charade.

We had even hidden my binding mark with some sort of makeup before we had arrived here. We had even hidden that, so that no one would see the 'N' on my wrist.

'Adri?', he asked in my mind.

'Mellai', I answered automatically 'Remember? Your possible future mate. Sorry I didn't reach your expectations on how to behave tonight. Sorry I laughed with another man. But I don't want anyone – or anything else tonight than go back to my room. Sorry. Our room', I was about to withdraw from his arms, when he silently ordered 'Stop'.

Nyshard slowly loosened his hold on me, obviously still wanting to give me the opportunity to pull away.
But when I hesitated, he added 'You said – 'and if I do'. And if you do, Adri, then you just have to say it, and I would be happy to...'

'To make it possible. I know. I... know Nysh. I know you'd be more than happy to see me with someone else.'

It would free him to pretend... a charade like this.

It would free him.

Blinking my tears away, I forced a smile in his direction "I think I'm going to retreat now. It's been a long day and I'm sure...", my eyes searched for some other woman that I could just somehow hand him over to – and I took a step away from him "... I'm pretty sure this Lady here...", I tipped a brunette woman on the shoulder, who turned towards us, her eyes wide and her smile bright as she set eyes on Nyshard "...will be glad to dance with you a little while longer while I'll go to our rooms."