Chapter 18: Delusion

Hell, Feb. 12th 2017 @11:40 PM. They ran down the endless maze of halls, wondering just how many circles they made. Their beating hearts drowned out the overbearing alarm.

"Ugh, where is this stupid exit?!" Alyssa grunted.

"Somewhere, we should have just retraced our steps!" Zoey exclaimed.

"We did...dozens of times already." Amber said, floating above them all.

"Huh?! Whaddya mean?!" Mary shouted.

"This whole time, I've been counting the lefts and rights we've taken. The amount of torches in each hall, the marking and scratches on the doors and rust on the knobs. We've passed the way we came in six times already...yet the exit hasn't shown up."

"Rust on the knobs? You some kind of freak?" Mary asked

"I get the feeling you're no better."

"Well, either way, we may have to get creative about leaving." Katrina said, but before she could act on it, Rosie warned against it.

"No...they'll hear." She said, impishly.

"Huh? Who?" Genji asked.

"Around the corner...to the left."

Making the turn, there were two Kuros staring them down, seemingly waiting for them. It was the orange and red mask.

"There they are!" Alyssa said, stomping and pushing off her leg with great intensity, allowing her to bolt forwards. She summoned up her scythe and prepared to swing.

"Wait!" Amber shouted, getting a terrible feeling about all of this.

Before Amber's words could fully register, Alyssa had already swung. Her scythe sliced through the Kuros...but that was it. No screaming, no skin-tearing, and no blood. Their bodies remained intact and the parts that were hit began hazy and foglike.

"What the...how?" Alyssa asked, her momentum caused her to go right through them.

"It's a trap?" Zoey asked.

Alyssa remained, but the group kept running. Moments after, a loud, metallic ringing filled their individual ears. Like a spoon rattling, a bell chime, or a dropped bloodied scalpel. All of theirs were different.

"Huh?" Mary mumbled, and suddenly, reality hit for all of them. Rather than their feet taking turns at attacking the floor in a sprint, they were bound to the walls. Everyone except for Genji, that is.

"What the...?" Genji mumbled with widened eyes. He looked around, seeing his allies binded by some strange, red energy on the walls. He could only imagine what they were trying to say, as their mouths were covered as well.

"Brains. Be it Demon, Human, Angel, Dog, or any other complex living creature. They're all susceptible to manipulation." Yuno, the Red Mask, said.

"What is she talking about...did she make us imagine all of that?" Genji mumbled, now facing the two.

"You got what you want, can I go now?" Cherry, the Orange Mask, asked.

"That's fine, I'll meet up with the rest of you later."

WIth that, a mysterious black mist came up and swallowed Cherry whole. When it subsided, she was nowhere to be seen.

Yuno, on the other end of the hall, approached Genji. She started by taking off her hood, revealing her short black hair. She then removed the mask, which also removed the face painting across her eyes and the bridge of her nose, her red eyes brought the hair on his arms up.

"Y'know, I've been surrounded by girls all my life. It sorta looks like you wanna kill me."

"Wow, are you the genius in the family?."

"MMMpHH, HmMPH MMM!" Mary shouted, flailing her legs.

"Yeah, yeah, I got it." Genji said.

"Our objective is to grab the girl and return her to the King, but I have something personal going on...Someone like you doesn't deserve that sin. You are weak, and I'll prove it to you with our gap in wrath!"

With a wicked smile, and a scar-like manifestation of wrath extending from her hairline down past her left eye, she charged head on.