Chapter 23: We Finally Meet

Earth, Feb. 13th 2017 @5:50 AM. The scent of rain was prevalent in the air, and rather than feeling down about it, he was quite excited. Wet grass has been one of his favorite scents since living on Earth.

"You smell it too, can you?" Genji asked.

"Yeah, smells like a thunderstorm too. Someone is gonna die tonight." Mary responded

"...You think so?"

"I know so...did you know Hell used to rain?"

"Whaat? In every history book I've been made to read there's been no record of rain."

"Really? I guess I'm remembering it wrong." She rubbed her cheek, "well, in those fantasy books I read, rain always meant something bad was gonna happen." She walked towards the center of the rooftop.

"Never really took you for the reading type."

"It got boring being held up in an abandoned church...and besides, it was for Rosie."

"I get it. Katrina did the same for me when I was little."

"Must be nice having that type of love..."

"Only kid, hm? Must have been pretty lonely. Zoey used to talk about how lonely she would get sometimes."

"Yeah..." Mary stretched her arms across her body, "alright, enough sappiness. We have an ass to kick right below us."

Genji cracked his fingers and took in a deep breath. He couldn't believe he was just moments away from meeting Inverse.

"Ready? Let's go." Mary raised her right leg up. Genji was fascinated at how high she can lift it, her shoe going above her head. She slammed her foot down, creating an opening beneath them. They dropped in and landed on the squeaky, glistening floor.

Inside of a community center's open basketball gym were four far away individuals, three of which he could recognize. Yuno, Mitaba, and Esther. Only due to the process of elimination could Genji have known the final one was Inverse.

"My lord, we've apprehended the target but Genji, along with an ally, are here. How should we pursue?...I see...yes, my lord." Esther said into her mask, keeping her gaze on the two.

"Hey-ho, It's Yu-no!" Genji shouted, pumping his hands in the air

"You...you managed to get out? I guess I underestimated you." Yuno called back.

"How come you ran away? It was getting good."

"When the king calls, I answer, simple as that."

Mary cracked her knuckles, "I can't wait to bring your head to him then."

Tensions spiked rapidly between Genji, Mary, and the Kuros. Both parties anticipated an incoming strike from the other.

So much so, they've neglected the most dangerous creature in the room. Allowing the inferno to build up and welcome them into their catacombs.

"You kept them distracted," Inverse spoke as sparks flew off and swirled around him and the Kuros until they connected and combined to form a roaring column of flame. It was burning red, like the skies and dirt back home. Unable to take the heat, the Kuros fell to him in agony, unable to move. Inverse cracked his neck just by moving it and pulled back Yuno's hood to slip off her hair tie, "you're not completely useless, Mary." He said as he tied his shoulder-length hair into a bun.

That power... Genji was in awe, staring at the monster approaching them. He recognized the body, and was in disbelief seeing someone else in control of it. Those shark-like teeth turned sinister with his grin, and his crimson eyes spelled out an impending doom. He wore a crystal vial spiked necklace with a mysterious red substance inside.

"So, what brings you back here? Especially after that little fight of ours." Inverse said, rubbing his cheek.

"Was told to find and bring you back to the peeps at home. But honestly, I think just your head will be coming along."

"My head? You must be confused. 'Cuz now that he's here, I was gonna take both of yours. Rosie's too, just to tie-up the loose ends."

A vein by her forehead became visible, "bastard." The sparks coming off her hand turned more aggressive, turning into full strings of electricity.

That's right, we need all the help we can get! Genji dug deep into his right pocket, but felt nothing inside. Neither of them realized until it was too late, but their threat had just breached past them holding two vital strings.

"How interesting, I wonder what these things do." He said, waving them around.

Mary violently swung her body to deliver and backswing, but Inverse caught it with his free hand, "hey, wanna see a trick?" He said as he plopped the two strings down the hatch and swallowed, sticking out his tongue to show no remains, "ta-da."

Red flames swirled around Mary's arm, beginning to burn her. But the green electricity only grew, enough for her to overpower his grip and counterattack with a kick. Inverse blocked but the force caused him to slide back some. Mary pursued after him and initiated the inevitable fight.

She was already crazy fast, but with electricity, she's- wait, huh? Elements are my thing. Mary and Inverse clashed with electricity and fire while Genji stood idly by.

How are they using my powers?!