Drifting #22

Hugo, Jacob, Carmen and Rosy drifted off in the boat, watching Dylan disappear behind the hills around Pyramid Lake. Their boat was a basic fishing boat. It could fit one more adult person before it got too cramped. It had a motor controlled by a steering wheel and very little storage space.

Rosy was still crying.

Carmen started to hyperventilate, almost shaking at the thought of something happening to her father. Hugo and Jacob glanced at each other; both unsure of what to do.

Jacob's eyes were emotionless. His eyebrows stayed at straight lines level over his eyes and mouth was in a slight frown. He started investigating the helm, observing buttons and steering wheel.

Hugo watched Jacobs dull facial expression and saw his future self for a moment; thinking of what he may become if Lila was truly gone.

He looked back to Carmen. "It's okay," Hugo said as he took Rosy from Carmen's arms.

Carmen took a breath and relaxed herself, calmly she looked at Jacob. "Can you get this thing working?"

"I don't know. I've never started a boat," Jacob answered. "I can't tell what any of this does. It's too dark to see anyway."

"Then just wait till morning," said Hugo. "Wouldn't the noise just draw more attention? Better off just waiting to drift onto land."

"What about the island? After we get my dad can we just stay there?" Carmen asked.

"I'm not staying anywhere until I find my sister," said Hugo, shaking his head.

"Dude she's dead," said Jacob standing up from the helm.

"Excuse me?" said Hugo.

"Oh, my bad. She's as good as dead," said Jacob.

"Watch yourself," Hugo said, raising his hand up to Jacob.

"There's no point," Jacob raised his hand in a sweeping motion at Hugo. "Everyone dies." Jacob sat back down.

Hugo remained silent, unwilling to make more noise in the dark. "Wait, Rosy?" He realized Rosy had fallen asleep, but the smell of her pants became abundant to him. "Ugh," he said at the stench. "Is there anything on this boat?"

Hugo and Carmen felt around the deck for some sort of compartment. Hugo lifted the seats to the built-in bench to find some basic medical supplies, spare clothes, and a rope. Dipping Rosy partially in the water to wash her and using a spare shirt to dry her off, Hugo hoped she wasn't too hungry.

"She's gonna hold you back," said Jacob to Hugo, referring to Rosy.

"Where is this coming from?" Hugo snapped back.

"Where do you think? My dad came along to help you find your baby and died trying to help another. We could have survived..." said Jacob. He rested his head on the steering wheel of the boat. "Dammit Hugo!" he shouted, getting up again.

"Shh!" said Hugo, Rosy started to move uncomfortably in her sleep.

Jacob frowned, staring at Rosy.

"I know what you're thinking," said Hugo. "This isn't you."

Jacob sat back down, resting in the driver's seat.

Hugo slowly took his eyes off of Jacob and onto Rosy, who was now resting fine. He noticed Carmen staring plainly into the hills that surrounded the lake.

"How long were you stuck in the six flags?"

"Since the beginning," Carmen said. "A fire trapped us inside the park that day. Some of the employees helped us into a safe room and locked it from the outside. It was one of the mascots who let us out, but they had already taken over."

Hugo hesitated on a question in his mind.

"Thank you...for saving my dad. He told me it was you who let him out. If you didn't, I would have probably never seen him again."

"You're welcome," Hugo said weakly.

They waited out the night, drifting to sleep until the next morning.

TINK

TINK TINK

Hugo woke up, feeling as if the boat was rubbing against a rock. As he sat upwards from the bench, he found the boat bumping against the island in the middle of the lake.

"Woah," Hugo whispered, rubbing his eyes.

Carmen was asleep on the floor of the boat, Rosy slept in a nest of spare clothes, and Jacob slept on the driver's seat.

Slowly and carefully, Hugo took out the rope from the storage compartment. He tied the boat from a metal hook on the hull to an exposed root on the island.

As he got off, he tiptoed to the top of the island. He saw the morning sun glistening across the water and Dylan waving to him from one of the hills in the distance.

Hugo waved back, signaling Dylan to approach. He watched Dylan begin walking down the hill with a limp.

"Oh no," said Hugo.