Oakhurst #41

Hugo continued to drive north into the foothills of Yosemite. The smoking mountains were much more visible now. The view from the windshield depicted a sky of smoke. Everyone was asleep by then.

The trees started to get taller the further they drove. The view of central valley was blocked by thick forest. Occasionally, a wanderer or crashed car would appear on the side of the road.

They passed by another sign, "Coarsegold." Soon after, the woods cleared up. They entered a small village with several shops, inns, and dirt streets that led into the forest. The streets had a couple of stray cars and it all seemed abandoned.

Whoop went a sheriff's car from behind the group. Hugo hit the brakes, stopping the car in the middle of an empty intersection. The entire car jolted awake. Mordecai sat up and frantically looked around, upon noticing the sheriff's car he sunk out of sight, and clenched his knife.

"Hugo, go!" said Carmen. She looked at him sternly while also keeping the sheriff's car in the corner of her eye.

"I'm sorry," Hugo said, nervously. He was frozen with his hands to the wheel, and he watched the sheriff's car in the side view mirror.

The sheriff stepped out of the car. He seemed normal.

Hugo slowly moved his hands to the window control and lowered his window.

"Hugo!" Carmen whispered sternly.

The sheriff stepped to the window and leaned on the car with one arm. The badge on his shirt said Yosemite Ranger.

"You know why I pulled you over?" he asked Hugo, his face almost cold.

Hugo slowly turned his head to the sheriff. "N- no. Officer."

The sheriff's cold face grew to a smile. "To give you a warm welcome!" He slapped the top of the car and had a nice smile. "Come on, pull over right there and I'll introduce you to the place." He pointed ahead at a sidewalk with enough space to park beside. "I know it's a lot, but trust me, everything is gonna be fine." He nodded and walked back to his car. Hugo watched the sheriff from the side view mirror, noticing a holstered gun at the back of his belt.

"Hugo," Carmen whispered. "Get out of here!"

Hugo slowly drove the car forward, without responding. He turned into the parking spot and held the brakes. The sheriff pulled up behind him. Hugo watched the sheriff get out of the car.

"Hugo?" said Carmen.

"C'mon man," said Mordecai, still hiding with the knife.

When the sheriff closed the door to his car, Hugo hit the gas, speeding up the road once again.

"Sorry guys, cops freak me out sometimes," said Hugo. He swerved around a wander, bobbling everyone in the car. "It's an LA thing."

"Hey, who's following us?" said Jacob, he was looking out the back window of the car. Hugo glanced into the rear view mirror, and everyone else peaked over their shoulders, it was the sheriff steadily approaching.

After making a turn, the road ahead was straight and clear, the sheriff sped up, trying to pass them. Hugo pressed the brakes as hard as he could, but the sheriff was just a little faster.

"No, no, no," Hugo said to himself. He looked to his left and saw the sheriff through the windows of the car. He pulled his gun and aimed it at Hugo. Hugo raised his arm to cover his face.

BAM

The car's left tire popped, and the car swerved to the left. The sheriff slammed his brakes, being almost hit by Hugo's car. Everyone was pulled forward as the momentum kept the car going. It drove off the road and into a shallow ditch, and its passengers were thrown forward. Mordecai and Genesis grabbed Lila, and they caught the two front seats, softening the blow. Jacob was pressed against the back seats and was fine. Carmen and Hugo were caught by the air bags.