Yosemite Valley Pt1 #43

"What have we done?" said Sheriff Gunman. Him and the other Sheriff's were in shock, staring at the fire where the man had just died.

Hugo and Mordecai gave each other a quick side eye, the two slowly split from the group.

"Hold it!" said Gunman. He and the other sheriff's pointed their guns at the group. "Not another step!"

"Don't move!" said another sheriff.

Hugo and Mordecai stopped and put their hands up. The others did the same, even Lila.

"Gunman?" said another party. The voice came from behind the sheriffs. A couple of them turned around to see several families walking up the road.

"Woah now," said a sheriff. He put his gun away and the others quickly did the same. "Yall arent supposed to come up here!"

"The town's been overrun!" said a scared mother.

The sheriffs glanced at each other. Without words, they started walking to the town, leading the people away from the fire.

Hugo and the group lowered their hands and went in a circle. Hugo took Lila by the hand.

"What was that?" said Jacob.

"Something we weren't supposed to see," said Hugo.

"They were gonna shoot us you know," said Carmen, looking at Hugo.

"Are you sure?" said Hugo.

Carmen opened her mouth but didn't speak.

"They wanted to, but it's too much of a risk," Hugo started. "How are they gonna explain the gunshots? Are they gonna kill a kid? How do they explain that her entire group went missing?"

The group was silent for a moment.

"Okay," said Carmen. "Then what?"

Hugo stepped closer and spoke softer.

"I think I know what's going on," said Hugo. He looked to the fire, trying to see past it but the brightness made him look away. It was the only light source that night. "How far do you think that suit can take him before it burns up?"

"What are you saying?" said Carmen.

"Remember they said that people flocked to Yosemite when the outbreak happened?" said Hugo. "Then the fires happened and the people on the outside stayed in Oakhurst...but what about the people on the inside? They're still alive. They don't want people to discover what they have so they scare the sheriffs into keeping it a secret. If people find out, then people die."

Mordecai nodded, forming something in his mind.

"You understand?" said Hugo.

"They got secrets," said Genesis. They were all thinking about what Hugo said.

"What are we gonna do about it?" Jacob asked.

"I'm gonna get in," said Hugo.

"How you think you gonna do that?" Mordecai asked.

"I'm thinking...they know that we know something," said Hugo. "When that happens, they come out to kill one of us. So, when they come out, we get them before they get us. I take the suit, I get in-"

"What about us? How do we know you're coming back," said Mordecai.

Carmen was already shaking her head at Hugo.

Hugo looked down for a moment. "I'll find a way in for you. They can't have only one heat suit, right? And if I die, you'll know."

"You're gonna send Lila through the fire?" said Carmen sternly.