Intel #12

From the airport terminal, Hugo, Tia Marga and Adam Driver watch the helicopter fly into the north behind the Santa Clarita Mountains.

"Sorry Hugo," said Marga. She put her hand on Hugo's shoulder. He glared northward. His eyes were on the very last point where the helicopter was still visible.

Adam Driver was pacing around the lobby, "This isn't good, this isn't good, this isn't good," he repeated as he ran his hands through his long hair.

"Hello?" said a muffled voice. It came from a room behind one of the counters. The door was labeled 'Control'. "Hello? Hello? We saw the helicopter. Is there anyone there?"

Adam Driver stared at the door, unsure of what he was hearing. "Hey you guys, I think you're gonna wanna see this..."

When Hugo and Tia Marga came, the three of them entered the door behind the counter. Inside was a control room with a single walkie-talkie left on the counter. Tia Marga took the device and activated it.

"Hello? Who's there? We're at the terminal," said Marga into the walkie talkie.

The voice whispered back, "You're still at the terminal? How many of you are there?"

"Right now, three," Marga answered.

"You have to get out of LA. I heard the government is going to launch a nuke... to wipe out the city entirely."

Marga put the walkie talkie to her side and looked back at Hugo and Adam Driver. "We need to go. Now."

They had hotwired an abandoned car in the parking lot of the airport and took it onto the streets. They followed the path of the helicopter. Adam drove as Tia Marga stayed on the walkie talkie with the person on the other end.

"When did you say they were launching the nuke?" said Marga.

"I can't say, but it's soon. So hurry," said the voice.

"How do we know you're telling the truth? How do we know you're not trying to kill us?"

"Ma'am, the helicopter we saw was specifically a Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk. If anyone is going to spot it then it'll be me."

"Wait," said Hugo. "Adam, how do you have access to a military helicopter?"

Adam was still driving the hotwired car through the streets, "What? I'm a celebrity. I have connections, it's what we do."

As they approached the edge of the San Fernando Valley, they were met with a blockage that spanned across the highway. It was a wall of cars perpendicular to the road.

"Oh no," said the three of them.

A person stood up behind one of the cars. A black man, with a large backpack. His jeans were ripped up but his legs were beefy.

"What happened?" said the person on the walkie talkie.

"There's a blockade," Marga answered, staring at the man.

"Can you ram it? Maybe go around?" said the person.

"I don't think so," said Marga. The man started to approach.

"Please! Please! Let me go with you!" the man begged. He dropped his backpack on the road and fell to his knees. "They gonna eat me alive out here." There were deep bags under his eyes.

Adam rolled down the driver window slightly, looking over the man. "Did you make the blockade?"

The man turned his head to the wall of cars as if he was unaware. "No. I only found it a day ago. I'll help you move it. I promise!"

Adam looked back at the others. "What do you think?"

Marga looked over to the man outside. "Do you have any weapons?"

"Just a multi-tool." The man dug into his back pocket revealing a hand sized multitool. His hand shook as he held it up.

"Give it here and you can come," said Tia Maga.

The man tossed the multitool into the car and jumped to his feet with fists in the air, "YES!"

"SHHH!" said everyone in the car.

"Sorry, sorry." The man took his backpack and shoved it into the back seat. Placing it between him and Hugo. Hugo felt uncomfortable, but the man's smile gave him some reassurance. "Where are we going?"

"Nowhere," said Adam. There's a wall in the way.

"Oh, yes," said the man. He jumped out of the car and ran to a Honda civic that was in the lineup. He bent at the knees and lifted the car from the back bumper. Slowly, he moved the back bumper outward, making a path for the group. When he got back into the car, the group drove away to Santa Clarita.