Fresno Pt1 #31

Hugo stood up from kneeling before Lila. He turned around to see Juan on the floor beside him. The lifeless body began to wiggle its jaw. Its pupils twitched slightly. Hugo took his bat from the table and swung down on the head. Blood flew to the cupboards and the kitchen table.

Carmen lifted Jacob to his feet. She found a rag and wrapped his wrist with it. Glancing at Hugo, she saw his unmoved stature.

"Hugo, please," she said.

Jacob was breathing heavily through the pain of his missing hand.

Hugo shook his head slowly. His eyes stayed on the two. The hand holding the bat adjusted its grip. Jacob and Carmen held their mouths open, fearfully waiting for Hugo's next move.

The walkie-talkie on the table clicked.

CLICK "Juan? You there?" said a man on the other end. The group paused. Jacob and Carmen held their breath. "Juan, we heard some gunshots and yelling. We're sending men your way." CLICK

In the silence, they heard the faint sound of windows and doors breaking in the outskirts of the suburbs. It came from the direction the group did.

"We need to hide," said Carmen.

Hugo's eyes were on the ground as his tongue moved under his lips. "Let's go."

"What?" said Carmen, she moved her head to look for some answer.

"Kid's let's go," Hugo said, raising his voice slightly. He walked past Jacob and Carmen to the back door. The kids followed him out into the backyard, then to the street. Carmen held up Jacob as the two followed close behind.

Finally outside again, it was gloomy. Clouds were scattered across the sky. A gray tint covered the area.

"What about Jacob?" said Carmen.

Hugo stopped in his steps and turned to Jacob. He stepped to him, firmly holding the bat. He checked Jacobs pockets for any weapons and found none. He whispered, "If you make even a sound that puts us in danger, I'll bash your head in on the spot."

Jacob was trembling before Hugo. The rag around his hand was dripping onto the concrete.

Another house across the suburb was broken into, drawing the group's attention. It was closer this time. Flashlights were peaking over the fences. Lila took Hugo's hand, and he led the group through the streets southward.

They pushed over the few wanderers to avoid using the bat. The break-in's seemed to be getting further away.

Getting to the last turn of the south side of the suburb, they heard the clicking of walkie-talkies where the break-ins were happening. What they were saying was too far for the group to hear, but the walkie-talkie conversation lasted for only a couple minutes.

Hugo and Carmen exchanged looks, both unsure of what will happen.

Another set of distant revving could be heard, and it grew louder.

"They're trapping us in," said Hugo. His eyes began to widen.

"Huh?" said Carmen.

"Run!" Hugo shouted.

The revving grew louder as it rode around the outside of the suburb, heading south.

They all ran as fast as they could to the exit. Upon arriving at the border of the suburb, headlights could be seen growing at an intersection west of them. Across the street from the group, was an alley-way perfect for escaping. Hugo made sure everyone was in front of him and he rushed them across. Jacob began to slow down in the middle of the road, holding himself in pain.