My lullaby

At a barren landscape of the Outlands, several lionesses are gathered around the termite mounds. Two lionesses fight over a bone. Nuka plods along sulkily. Nearby, Vitani tugs at a tree root. "Kovu, Kovu, Kovu. Scar wasn't even his mother. She just took 'im in." Nuka notices Vitani. "Oh, hey, Vitani! Where's the little termite, Kovu?" Nuka strikes a pose sarcastically. "The "Chosen One."" Nuka cuts the root with his claw, sending Vitani tumbling and he laughs. Vitani stands up. "Nuka! Where's Kovu?" Vitani strides toward Nuka. "Did you leave him out there on his own again?" She snarled. Nuka fiddles with the tree root. As Vitani approaches, he lets go. "Hey, it's every lion for himself out here!" Nuka scratches himself, causing termites to fly out of his fur. "That little termite's gotta learn to be on his own." He said, "Mother's gonna be mad. She told you to watch him!" Vitani snapped. Nuka scratches his mane. "Oh, who cares?" Nuka scratches his shoulder. "I should've been the Chosen One." 

Nuka scratches his back against the tree "I'm the oldest, I'm the strongest, I'm the smartest–" Nuka jerks away from the tree and screams. "And oh, these termites!" Nuka bites frantically at himself, then writhes on the ground. Vitani watches with a smirk. Nuka scoots toward Vitani on his rear end. "I could be a leader if she'd just give me a chance!" He shouted. "Pfft! Yeah, right. Why don't you tell that to her?" Vitani asked mockingly. "Yeah? Don't think I won't!" Nuka closes his eyes and lifts his chin stubbornly. "Oh, yeah?" Vitani laughs "Here's your chance." She said. Nuka opens his eyes. "What?" Nuka looks over one shoulder. "Oh, Mother! Mother, hi!" He laughs. Nuka races toward Zira, who is carrying Kovu in her jaws. He sits beside her. "Mother, I caught some field mice for your dinner. I left 'em by the, um..." Zira strides past Nuka, ignoring him. "By the... Okay." He said. Nuka deflates. After a moment, he follows Zira. "Hey, Kovu." Zira sets Kovu down. "Wanna fight?" Kovu and Vitani face off against each other playfully. "You were supposed to be watching him!" Zira juts her head at Nuka, who recoils fearfully. Kovu straightens and faces Zira. "It's not his fault! I went off on my own!" He defended. Zira prowls toward Kovu, who backs away. "What were you doing?" She demands. "N-nothing!" Kovu said. "Who has made us Outsiders?" Zira asked. "(Y/n)." Kovu said. "Who killed Scar?" Zira asked. Kovu falls onto his back. "(Y/n)." He said. Kovu squirms away from Zira. "And what have I told you about them?!" Zira juts her head at Kovu.

Kovu falls and shields his face from Zira. "I'm sorry, Mother!" Kovu looks up at Zira imploringly. "Sh-sh-she didn't seem so bad. I-I-I-I thought we could be–" "Zira juts her head at Kovu. "Friends?!" She shouted, and he gasps. Zira circles Kovu. "You thought you'd get to the daughter." Kovu watches Zira. "And (Y/n) would welcome you with open arms?!" Zira rolls her eyes. "What an idea!" Zira pauses, and a sly grin spreads across her face. "What an" Zira juts her head at Kovu. "idea!" Zira grabs Kovu by his tail and pulls him toward her. "You brilliant child." Zira pulls Kovu against her leg "I'm so proud of you!" Zira strokes Kovu. "You have the same conniving mind," Kovu tries to get away, but Zira pulls him back. "That made Scar so..." Zira raises one paw, claws extended. "Powerful." Zira said. 

Nuka pretends to wretch. "Yecch." Zira turns around and roars at him. Nuka covers his face with his paws and laughs nervously. Zira picks up Kovu in her jaws and carries him toward the termite mounds. Nuka watches them go. He sits with his shoulders hunched angrily. "Ugh. The Chosen One." Zira carries Kovu into the termite mounds. She deposits him in a cradle made of rock and he grunts. Zira stands by Kovu's head. "I now see the path" Zira makes a clawed fist. "To our" Zira straightens. "Glorious return to power!" Zira holds up a paw dramatically. The Outsiders watch from the shadows. "But I don't want–" "Hush!" Zira's voice softens. She sidles up to Kovu. "Hush, my little one." Zira straightens. She speaks as if to a baby. "You must be exhausted." Zira nuzzles Kovu. "Sleep, my little Kovu." Zira circles Kovu. "Let your dreams take wing." Zira nudges Kovu's tail into the cradle. "One day, when you're big and strong," Zira's eyes widen, and she grins. "You will be a king." Zira strides off. "Good night." Kovu said. Zira looks over one shoulder.