Chapter Fourteen

"Me?" Caleb was taken aback. He looked up at Quinton, eyes wide, unsure how to respond.

Quinton let out a soft chuckle. "Yes, you. Who else but you? Caleb, since you've come into my life you've turned my world upside down. I've never considered having a mate before, never really even wanted one. I'm too set in my ways and I liked the bachelor life a little too much but now, now, I can't imagine not having you in my life. The thought of anyone taking you away from me, the very thought of you leaving, it terrifies me because I know I would kill anyone who tried to come between us. I'm not saying that to sound tough or bad ass, I'm saying it because it's true. I care about you in a way that I never thought I'd ever care about anyone. I might even be falling in love with you."

Quinton couldn't believe he'd actually said all that to Caleb but now that he had, a sense of relief washed over him, calming the beast inside. His wolf was proud of him. He could feel it. The internal struggle was gone. He and his wolf were of the same mind now. All that was left was to wait and see how Caleb reacted to this revelation. Quinton just hoped that he hadn't fucked things up and scared Caleb off for good.

Caleb just stared at Quinton dumbstruck. He opened his mouth to speak but found that no words would come out. Slowly, he began to shake his head as tears once again filled his eyes. "How..." He stammered, trying to find his words. "How can you even say that?"

Quinton sat back, the disappointment clear on his face. "I was just being honest."

"Honest?" Caleb laughed bitterly. "Alp...Quinton. Forgive me but, I don't understand you. A minute ago I was certain that you were going to send me back to Silver Moon. The way you let, so angry, I thought for sure that I'd ruined everything. I was convinced you hated me. The past couple of weeks you've been avoiding me and the entire time I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I'd done wrong. I just kind of assumed that you'd gotten sick of having me around or something and now you're telling me you might be falling in love with me?"

"I know it's a lot to take in." Quinton told him.

"It's a hell of a lot to take in!" Caleb suddenly yelled, rising to his feet. "And way too fast. I don't even know what to say to that."

Caleb started pacing back and forth in front of the couch, his hand raking through his hair.

Quinton sighed. He'd wanted to confess his feelings to Caleb hoping it would ease his mind some but instead he'd managed to push the omega into a full on panic attack. "You don't have to say anything right now. Just breathe. It's really not a big deal."

Caleb turned at stared at him as though he'd just grown another head. "Not a big deal? Excuse me Quinton Hallorann, but it is a huge deal! You don't just tell someone you're falling in love with them and then say it's not a big deal. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Quinton put his head in his hands and groaned. This was not going the way he'd planned. "I'm really not good at this stuff." He confessed.

"Well, that's apparent." Caleb snapped.

Quinton glanced up, cocking an eyebrow. Caleb sure was frustrating but Quinton found his ire amusing if not a bit adorable. Zev was right, Caleb had a feisty side and now that he was living in Black River, it was finally coming out.

"I'm sorry that I just sprang this on you." Quinton apologized. "It doesn't obligate you to anything. If you want to follow the original plan I'll understand. Nothing will change. I'll still help you. Even if you wanted to mate someone else..."

"I don't want another mate!" Caleb froze, regretting the words as soon as they came out of his mouth. Especially when he saw the look of defeat on Quinton's face. "That didn't come out right." He tried to explain. "I mean that I don't want someone else. I...shit. I don't know what I want right now." He threw his hands up in frustration.