Chapter 8: Bound by Duty

Alex found himself standing in front of Murkwood Manor, fidgeting with his doublet and engaged in a rather peculiar staring contest with Sir Rowan's formidable guard. The guard's eyes, once cool and composed, began to twitch and burn, a sure sign that he was on the brink of defeat. It had been a good ten minutes since Alex had politely asked the guard to announce his presence to Sir Rowan, who was rumored to need a personal servant. However, it seemed that the guard had no intention of doing his job that day.

Frustration had sparked a mischievous idea in Alex's mind. He leaned in closer to the guard and proposed a whimsical challenge: if Alex emerged victorious in their ongoing duel of gazes, the guard would be obliged to fulfill his duty and announce him to Rowan. The guard, now blinking ferociously and rubbing his eyes together, clearly regretted not taking this proposition more seriously.

"Fine! Just show me your coat of arms badge," he snarled.

Alex presents his coat of arms to Sir Rowan of Cheesus' guard. It is a black coat of arms displaying a white raven atop a knight in armor.

 It is a black coat of arms displaying a white raven atop a knight in armor

The guard grabs Alex's coat of arms badge and says, "Wait here." Then he walks away slowly. Alex wants to yell at the guard to hurry up, but it is no use. Alex uses a bit of magic to moisturize his eyes.

While Alex was waiting for the guard to come back out, he took a good look at the manor. The manor exuded a mysterious aura with its rugged stones and vines entwined throughout. The ornate gate perfectly showcased the manor, inviting citizens to its grandeur.

The guard came back outside and ordered Alex to follow him. They walk to Rowan's chambers, the guard announces Alex.

"Come in," a deep voice from the other side of the door sent shivers through Alex's body. The guard opened the door, and Alex walked in with his head lowered. It wasn't out of fear, but rather out of respect; one should not meet the gaze of a lord without permission.

"You may look up," Rowan commanded. Alex complied and scrutinized the man before him. He had never seen Lord Rowan before; the lord always kept his face concealed or traveled in carriages, avoiding public view. Lord Rowan was stoic, with black hair and piercing blue eyes, dressed in plain robes. Alex assumed that he must not be required to dress more formally at the palace, unlike other lords who wore grand attire when attending coalition meetings about politics.

"State your name and purpose for visiting," Sir Rowan said in a monotone voice.

"My name is Alexander Corvus, and..." Sir Rowan raised his hand to interrupt Alex.

"Ah, you must be the cotton mill worker. Your mother is quite skilled with her weaving," Rowan remarked. Alex felt his face flush with embarrassment, perhaps due to Rowan's striking appearance; he found it challenging to accept compliments from the enigmatic lord.

"Thank you, sir," Alex replied.

"You don't need to state your purpose for the visit, as I understand you're here to work for me?"