Chapter 9: Getting Started/Ambushed

Alex lifted a wooden crate into the wagon, and as he drove a nail in, he accidentally jabbed his finger and winced in pain, "Ah, fuck!" Before he could react, Lord Rowan swiftly seized his hand, examining it scrutinizingly. With surprising swiftness, Lord Rowan brought Alex's bleeding finger to his lips and licked it.

"What are you doing?!" Alex exclaimed, attempting to pull his hand from Lord Rowan's grasp.

"You are not the only one with abilities. Here, look at your finger; it is completely healed now," Rowan explained.

"You're..." Alex started.

"It's best that we don't talk about that here. Walls have ears, remember?" Rowan fixed a meaningful stare on him and walked away towards the carriage. He turned around and said, "Well, are you coming or not?"

Alex rushed after him and entered the carriage. The footman promptly shut the door as soon as Alex settled comfortably in the seats.

After about half an hour, Alex noticed that Rowan was staring at him intently with a sidelong grin.

"W-why are you staring at me, my Lord?" Alex hesitantly asked.

"I can tell you have questions. Ask away. No one can hear us since we are in a soundproof carriage."

Alex began to spew out a lot of questions. Why did Lord Rowan want him to sit next to Alex instead of walking with the rest of the servants into the dark forest? Who was Lord Rowan? And what were his true goals? With so many questions, Alex realized he might have asked too much, but Lord Rowan looked astonished and chuckled as if he weren't insulted.

"As you must understand, I cannot tell you who I am and my goals until you understand our journey to Luminar. However, you must know this: I am only a lord for Ravenwood. If anyone asks you about my true allegiance, it is Ravenwood only. Let them think that. I don't want anybody else to know what my goals are. Understood?"

"Yes, my Lord," Alex replied.

"And as for the servants, they will be fine walking without you, for you are my designated right-hand servant, offering me ideas and insights—akin to a confidant or advisor," Rowan explains.

 The carriage came to a sudden halt. Lord Rowand furrowed his eyebrows, placing one hand over Alex's mouth while using the other to gesture for silence. He then withdrew his hand from Alex's mouth and grasped the hilt of his sword, secured at his left hip. Outside, there were shouts; one of Lord Rowan's guards bellowed, "Who goes there?!"

Silence. Then came muffled sounds, perhaps objects hitting the ground. Lord Rowan shifted the carriage's curtain slightly to peer outside. He then turned back to Alex, who somehow managed to exert his magical influence over Lord Rowan's thoughts. 'Remain here and stay as quiet as possible.'

Lord Rowan then sheathed his sword and hurried out of the carriage. Alex could hear the swings and slashes of Rowan's sword outside. Closing his eyes, he focused on his magical energy to discern the situation. What became clear to Alex was an ambush. Several of Lord Rowan's guards and servants lay dead. To Alex's surprise, Lord Rowan's eyes turned red, and he hoisted one of the ambushers with a single hand, demanding, 'Who sent you?!' in anger. The ambusher responded with maniacal laughter, prompting Rowan to frustratingly drive his sword into the assailant. 

Alex calmed his magical energies and stepped out of the carriage. Lord Rowan turned around, fixing him with a deadpan stare. 'I thought I told you to stay in the carriage,' Rowan said, his annoyance palpable and the lingering effects of anger still evident. Alex only stared back, walking around the bodies to investigate.

Approaching one of the corpses suspended from a tree, Alex placed his hand on the ambusher's forehead and closed his eyes. He began fusing his magic with the deceased body to gain access to its memories. What he witnessed was Venice, the blonde-haired man from his dreams, and then...wait. He abruptly opened his eyes, feeling a sudden drain of energy. Collapsing to the ground, Lord Rowan rushed over to check on him, lifting Alex and inquiring, "Are you okay? What did you see?"