Chapter 9

Joanelle POV

Things for me have been the same as always but for Miguel not so much. He's more nervous around me, neutral even, not the same hot headed man I know and love.

While I may be confused by the whole thing, Pavitir explains to me how what I did isn't very normal. But when have I ever been?

Promising to keep this between us, the Indian boy said I need to give him space. Now life has been so fucking boring. I've been trying my best to stay out of his sight, but that doesn't stop me from leaving him food and knocking him out if he's up too late.

I even pick up some of his work, or surprise him with a sweet treat. But tonight is different, he decided to sleep at home for once, instead of sleeping in his office since his change of pace, so I took over. While he rested I slipped through realities, putting everything back in it's place with ease.

It's tiring yes, but anything to get him to leave his desk earlier then normal. Sucking on a Happy Rancher, I feel a warm presence behind me.

Taking in the warm scent, I turn around, "Hi Mi Vida."

He looks down at me, less bags under his eyes and relief in his features.

"Don't...don't do that again, Joanelle."

I play with my fingers, "Sorry, I thought you needed some space."

Taking a step forward, I take a step back.

"You don't...what I need is..."

His shoulders drop, touching my cheek, I blush, "I need you, cariño."

Did he just call me darling?

"I just want you to be happy."

"Why?"

I gulp, "You know why."

"I really don't."

Taking a breath, he brushes my cheek with his thumb.

"I've been to a lot of places, seen different people, the same people. I've even see you, different kinds of you, happy, unhappy, good, bad. I've seen so many things, but never me. So I walk alone. But in every reality I've seen you, you've always seemed incomplete. Like me. And here it wasn't any better. So when I saw you again, I thought, maybe. I could make you happy, maybe I could be the Pool to your Spidey, try to fill in the gap."

I pause, "I want you to be happy, even if that means you don't feel the same way."

Letting go of my cheek, I look away, feeling the mask of joy and laughter slip away into a static shell of mystery and wonder.

He speaks up, "What about you?"

"What about me?"

Looking into my eyes, I chuckle a bit, "I'm Joypool, I'm always happy."

"You're Joanelle."

My heart stops at his words as he continues, "You matter too."

Feeling a tear fall, I wipe it away, but more fall down. Holding me close, I break down, feeling myself crack and break.

I never thought I mattered.

I thought I was lucky to be alive.

When you see the fragments of universes and find your the only one, makes you realize how your one factor, one spec that isn't needed.

That doesn't matter.

No one has ever said that to me, no one really ever cared.

Cared to ask, cared to know, and I never cared to tell.

But here he is reading me like a small book.

A book with a beautiful cover but damaged pages.

Picking me up, I try to wipe my tears but at this point it feels useless. It takes me a while to stop crying but once I do, I realize I have a cozy blanket around me. Looking around the living room, Miguel returns with a mug in hand.

"Here cariño."

Taking the mug, I remain silent, sipping the sweet drink I relax.

Putting the mug down, I lean on the man's shoulder.

"Thank you."

I look up at him confused.

Looking at me he continues, "Since Gabriella passed, and I lost her again, it gets hard. But you've been able to pick me back up, this is the most...well I've been."

I slip my hand on his, holding it gently.

"Mi vida."

Lifting my hand he kisses the back of it, making me smile softly. Yawning he stands, pulling me gently to the bedroom. Sitting down on the bed, he kisses my forehead, leading me down on the pillow. Slipping under the covers, he scoots next to me.

Wrapping a arm around me, I lay on his chest, relaxing as he plays with the end of my curls.

"I see you."

Feeling comfort from the familiar words, he continues, "You're amazing, from your mind to your heart."

Feeling myself tear up a bit, I hide away in his warmth.

"And when you wake up, you'll feel lighter than you did before."

Closing my eyes, I drift off to sleep, feeling a sense of peace in his touch.

When I wake up, he's still there, fast asleep, the sun has barely risen. I close my eyes, relaxing, remaining in the moment, as his words and voice fill my head with butterflies and care. Feeling him shuffle and move, he holds me a bit tighter, kissing me on my forehead.

I remain still, as he speaks softly.

"I love you too."

Feeling my heart swell I fight a smile, as we remain in content, and love.