Les I'm Miserable

Dyses moved on the floor, hoping to find a better sleeping position. The night was long, and she didn't sleep for a single second. After a few minutes, she gives up, and sits up groaning. The stones are freezing cold; it is impossible to lie down for a bit. She would almost like to be drugged again, at least then she could sleep. She can't estimate what time it is. Day and night are similar here, in the same cold darkness. Surely the little windows she had seen on the outside of the palace must not be from the dungeons. Otherwise there would have been light here. She feels like she is being watched, and looks aside.

Thalassa looks at her motionless. The girl seems to be observing her. More and more light streams out of her, until they can look at each other. 'Is everyone else still asleep?' whispers Dyses, sliding closer to the bars. Thalassa shakes her head. 'Nayeli is awake. Arlo and Rhidian are still asleep. But that doesn't matter, because Nayeli doesn't talk anyway. We have to talk.' Silently Dyses slides as far as her chain will allow toward the bars. Thalassa sits down, too. She looks worried, rubbing her arms. 'What is it?'

She casts a quick glance back, then looks pleadingly at Dyses. 'Can you please ask that prince of yours if we can have some food? Although Stars can go longer without food than humans, two weeks is still a very long time. I'm afraid Arlo is losing too much weight, and Nayeli is also getting thinner. It is not healthy for Star children to eat so little.'

Dyses looks at the girl with big eyes. 'You have not been fed for two weeks?' Her voice shoots up. Thalassa nods, casting another quick glance back. 'When you weren't here, no one ever came here. There was only a guard who checked every few hours to see if we were still here. But now you're here, and even the prince has stopped by. Maybe he would be willing to help you.'

Dyses looks at her doubtfully. 'You realize that this prince wants to kill me, and I want to kill him? For the same chance the food is poisoned. Then you would die eating my food.' Thalassa shakes her head. 'Rhidian says Cassian will wait until his mother dies. He is in no real hurry to kill you; until then you are reasonably safe. Can you try, please?' She looks at Dyses pleadingly. Shuffling sounds behind her, and immediately she turns around. Arlo comes walking sleepily toward the bars. His curls are standing in all directions, and he rubs his eyes. 'Thala, I'm hungry.' Thalassa grimaces, and sets the little boy down on her lap. He nestles against her, closing his eyes. 'I know.'

Thalassa looks up, casting a pleading look at Dyses. The girl nods slowly. A relieved smile spreads on the young girl's face. 'Aren't you way too young to take care of him? You're only a child yourself.' Dyses' voice echoes through the dungeons. Thalassa's face tightens. 'Who else will do it? He has no one else here. Our parents are far away, remember? And you're the help they sent.' She stands up, putting Arlo on the ground. He yawns, and leans against her again. 'Are you going to help us?'

Quickly, Dyses nods. 'Yes, I promise. You'll be back with your parents soon.' Thalassa wants to say something, but then the door to the dungeons opens. Distant footsteps echo through the room. Quickly Dyses slides back into her old place, keeping her hands behind her back. The handcuffs are behind her back. No one must notice that her hands are loose. She casts a quick glance aside. Thalassa and Arlo are gone. She makes sure no emotion can be read off her face. Whoever the visitor is, he must not think she is weak. She must remain a danger.

Footsteps halt just before her dungeons. The warm light of the torch streams into her dungeon as the prince walks in. He puts the torch in its holder, and sits on the ground. For the first few minutes, he says nothing. He just looks at her. 'Cassian.' Surprise shines through in his eyes. Didn't he expect her to break the silence? 'Dyses.' Dyses presses her hands together. He can't see them from his position, thankfully. Otherwise he would have realized immediately that she is free. Thalassa's pleading look haunts her mind. She has little desire to ask this prince for a favor, but she owes it to the girl. She made a promise.