Time for a bit of improvisation

The door to the dungeons opens, and all the children look up, alarmed. Dyses presses her finger to her lips, listening to the footsteps coming their way. The children look at her with tense faces. A trail of dried tears still runs on Thalassa's cheeks, and she prepares to stand. 'It's just one,' Dyses whispers. Relief appears on Thalassa's face, and she sits back down. Arlo crawls into her lap. Footsteps approach the dungeons. Quickly Dyses slides her hands behind her back, and sits up against the wall. The handcuffs prick against her lower back, but she doesn't dare move again.

Cassian appears in her doorway, but to her surprise, he walks past her dungeon. He walks into the children's dungeon, closing the door. Frightened, the children shuffle away from him until they can go no further. 'I'm not going to hurt you, I'm going to take you to the kitchen. I'm just closing the door so you don't run away immediately after I unchain you.' Thalassa casts a quick glance at Dyses, who is watching the scene closely. 'I'm hungry,' Arlo says, sliding forward. Thalassa tries to pull him back, but he is already out of her reach. Arlo walks toward the prince.

He bends down, and pulls a small key from his chest pocket. With a swift movement, he unlocks the lock, and the chain falls off Arlo's leg. Immediately the little boy rubs the spot where his chain was. 'Look Thala, I'm free!' The girl smiles briefly, then looks at the prince. She doesn't lose sight of him for a second. Arlo runs toward the bars, and puts his little hand through them. Dyses smiles at the child. She really can't move from her spot now, or Cassian will realize her handcuffs are no longer attached. Cassian casts a quick glance at her, then turns to the other children. 'You guys want to eat, too?'

Rhidian looks at his sister, then nods. Cassian walks over to him, freeing him from his chain as well. Rhidian stands up, twisting his ankle. Where the chain was, there is a red spot. 'Me too,' Thalassa then says quickly. The prince opens the lock on her necklace. She gets up, and immediately walks toward Arlo. Rhidian remains standing by his sister, who is still attached to the chain. 'Does she want to get off, too?' asks Cassian impatiently, walking toward the child. Wide-eyed, she slides away from the prince. 'Come Nayeli, so we can eat,' Rhidian urges her.

Nayeli seems to want to say something, but she is silent. 'Are you coming?' Rhidian looks at his sister pleadingly. 'I'm not going without you.' Cassian remains standing with his arms crossed. Then Rhidian looks at him. 'May I release her? She trusts me.' Nayeli looks at Cassian carefully.  'Fine.' He tosses the key to the boy, then walks out of their dungeon on his own. 'Do me a favor, and stay there for a while. There's someone else I need to release.' Surprised, Dyses looks at the prince entering her dungeon. He crouches down just in front of her, looking at her sternly.

'It is very simple. If you promise to not kill me, I promise to not kill you. Then we can both live forever. We don't have to get in each other's way, the world is big enough.' Dyses fails to hide surprise on her face. Is he serious about this? But what does she have to lose, the worst that happens is that he breaks his promise. That's still better than the certain death that awaited her. 'Well, what will it be?' Hundreds of thoughts raced through Dysse's head, making it impossible to think clearly. 'If I say yes, will you make sure we have enough food here from now on?'

Cassian nods. 'Okay then. Do I have to sign somewhere or something?' 'No, your promise is enough.' Dyses has to make an effort to suppress her laughter. What naiveté. She hadn't expected that from him. 'I hereby promise that I won't kill you.' She crosses her fingers behind her back; surely he can't see that. She doesn't trust him. It's too easy to think that the boy who cut her arm is now suddenly promising not to kill her. Maybe it's a trap, that they will be executed instead of going to the kitchen. The boy smiles, holding out his hand. Without further thought, she shakes his hand. Then she looks wide-eyed at her free hand. Cassian was not supposed to know that she had freed herself. How stupid of her.