1. Another Man

July 10, 1930 | Kyeon-ju

Another Man | Kang Mira

"The bride has charmed us with her enchanting beauty

"The bride has charmed us with her enchanting beauty. We like her, Mr. Kang."

"Sure, sure! My daughter doesn't only have a charming face, but also she can cook, sing, dance, act, clean and..."

Father pushes the tray of cookies to the guest, putting a gigantic smile on his dry lips as he nods every now and then. My hollow eyes find a stiff, middle aged and short man looking at me with a wide gaze, whom I guess to be the groom. His demeanour consists of a pair of bright green trousers and a brown suit that is tight around his huge belly. I look away from him; uninterested.

"We, therefore, want her to be jewel of our household, Mr. Kang."

"As she must, as she must!" my father agrees in delight. Everyone has a proud face and forced chuckle on their lips. I turn around to see a gloomy looking Mrs. Hyun staring at the man in front of me. She must not have liked him at all.

"Let's allow today to be the glorious day for these two to joint their hands!" an old man with a smoking pipe hanging from his mouth speaks up. "What a pretty girl... I must say..."

He looks at me, eyes dripping with both shock and glee. I shift my gaze down on my lap. My vision starts getting darker.

A terrible nausea kicks in. Pain creeps up, making me feel cracks in my bones. My head feels so heavy; as if someone is banging it against the wall forcefully. I can't inhale, or exhale. It turns suffocating and difficult for me to stay focused by the passing seconds. 

Then I start coughing. With horror, I see that blood is pouring down to my nose, staining my white gown.

My fingers tremble, darkness pooling into my eyes as I lift my head up to see father gazing at me with a burning look. He storms forward and grabs a fistful of my hair.

"You foul girl!" he shrieks, and a loud sound of slap echoes throughout the room. "I worked so hard for this! Now you ruin my plans again! How dare you!"