15. Pretty Cravings

The Festival | Kang Mira

"Have you heard of the Dolgolae festival before?"

I shake my head while staring at Sarang on the mirror. She's twisting the upper part of my hair into a messy bun, and attaching colorful clips and ribbons all over it. I have a slight doubt that I'm looking like a baboon right now.

"Ah, Dolgolae festival! Something we residents of Auoran cherish in our hearts. Though the craze is on an insane level between the old people of the society, but young lads like us also have their fair share. Want to know what it's about, Unnie?"

"Yes?"

"The creature, Dolgolae; or dolphin, is very respected amongst the local people here." Sarang combs down the rest of my hair neatly while speaking. "I heard the story of this festival's origin from my grandmother. Well, what she said was too hard to believe, but nonetheless. Let's begin!

"When heaven loved earth and earth loved heaven, the creatures between these two realms had a strong bond of friendship among themselves. The humans tended to help the mighty beings from the sky and the ocean; the other side did the same.

"So, one day, a young girl found herself by the shore of the Sacred ocean, where humans were not permitted to enter. It was protected by the ancient god of the sea, who was told to be cruel and harmful to those he thought to be inferior, in other words- humans." Sarang has a strand of hair swept over her eyes from the wind coming through the window, which she quickly brushes away. "And guess what happened after that."

"Both fell in love?" I add with curiosity. This is usually how every fairytale ends.

"Right. But after a lot of struggles." Sarang turns to face me and starts dabbing snow powder on my face. "It turned out that the said tale about the god of the sea being cruel was a partial lie. He was actually trapped in the body of a dead dolphin whom he refused to save many years ago, so the Almighty gave him punishment for his ego."

"Then?"

"The young girl was mute, and for that, only her eyes could speak. And the god trapped inside the dolphin couldn't see, because its eyes were hurt since before."