xliv. we were born to be national treasures

chapter forty four ━ love, loss and legacyseason eight, episode five

chapter forty four love, loss and legacy
season eight, episode five

just leave me, my boyfriend,
and my penis alone!

"Ow." Jackson grumbled into the pillow his face was currently buried in, half-asleep in the complete and total darkness of Aliya's room.

Well, technically, it was their room now, seeing as Jackson's old room was currently being used as a dumping ground for the random stuff their roommates didn't want anymore, instead of taking the boxes to the thrift store.

They didn't really sleep in Jackson's bedroom anymore, Aliya's mattress was so much better anyway.

(Even though Jackson was perfectly capable of buying a much better mattress of his own.)

"Sorry." Aliya whispered from where she had been staring at the ceiling for the past five hours.

Five.

Whole.

Hours.

Though it felt like a lot longer.

It felt as if a lifetime had passed, and it didn't help that the clock was passive aggressively telling her that it was 4:32am, and not in fact 8:00am.

It was as if she had been staring at this goddamn ceiling for the last six days without looking away,  to the point where she had memorised every single mark and every single cobweb above her.

She was going crazy — certifiably.

It was confirmed.

"Aliya—" Jackson's grouchy corpse turned towards the supposed crazy person, his eyes still screwed shut. "—you're squirming."

It was a very clear observation, seeing as the brunette had been tossing and turning in bed ever since they crashed into it at the end of their shift.

She hadn't slept a single wink.

Usually, Aliya's insomnia was something she could manage with the pills on her bedside table, however there was a pretty obvious reason why this particular insomnia wasn't something pills could fix.

Because, Jackson's mother was coming into town, and that was enough to send Aliya to insanity.

"I'm not squirming." Aliya denied all accusations, gripping ahold of the bed sheets, tugging them up further to her neck.