Chapter 2: The Adventure Begins

Snow, that was the surname given to bastards born within the North. Jon Snow was the bastard son of Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. Despite being a bastard he was raised in Winterfell, he grew up alongside his trueborn siblings, he was trained along with them, taught along with them, they even treated him like he was a full born Stark. But their mother, Lady Catelyn, always reminded him of his place.

Jon did his best to avoid Catelyn, not wanting to deal with her harsh glares and looks of disgust. One day as he was wondering through Winterfell, he ended up in the library. It was here he could spend hours by himself, not worrying about running into anyway. He was not particularly interested in any of the books, until he found one special book. The book was titled, "The Nine Voyages".

Almost instantly Jon found himself mesmerized by the tales of the tome. The book talked about Corlys Velaryon, also known as the Sea Snake. He was a sailor who traveled farther than any other person in Westeros. He sailed across the Jade Sea and visited the empires of Yiti and Leng. With him he brought treasures that made him one of the richest men in Westeros.

But it didn't stop there, for this was only the beginning of his journey. He would travel all as far as to the mysterious lands of Asshai, the dangerous jungled filled Sothoryos, the warm tropics of the Summer Islands, even going pass the lands beyond the wall and through the Shivering Sea, all the way to the thousand isles.

In his voyages he talked about all the creatures he had seen. Giants so big that it made his crew feel like mice, monsters in the sea so big it could swallow the ship whole. To tales of a strange island called Zou, where human like animals called Minks lived. In the thousand isles he found a tribe of fishman that actually feared the ocean.

Soon Jon found himself reading more and more about the world outside of Westeros. He read about the unique cultural of each of the Free Cities, the harsh life of those in Slaver's Bay, and the luxurious city of Qarth. Even the unknown lands of Ulthos. But there was one tale that excited the young boy the most.

Maester Luwin found Jon within the library, once more reading about the voyages of Corlys. The old maester always enjoyed Jon's sense of curiosity and eagerness to learn more. "Reading more about the Sea Snake I see."

Jon nodded, not turning his head from the book he was so invested in, "I'm reading about the part where he visits the island of Skagos. He says that within the island are giants the size of mountains." Jon said with excitement.

Maester Luwin laughed, "The people of Skagos of always been cautious to outsiders but will still trade with ships. Ask most of them and they will say they haven't seen such things."

Jon's excitement didn't falter, "Just because most people haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there. Maybe they live deeper within the mountains." Jon said stubbornly.

Luwin sat next to Jon. "Corlys Velaryon is one of the only people in Westeros to have ventured out as far as he did. He's likely seen more of this world than anyone else has, even than those of Essos. Some maesters are skeptical about his tales, with only him and his crew being the ones that have visited these places."

"I don't care what they think, if they wish to prove him wrong then why don't they to go these places themselves?" Jon retorted.

"You know, there is one thing about Corlys that you won't learn from that book." Luwin said, he now had Jon's full attention. "As Corlys traveled across the world, he gathered treasures and artifacts from each place he visited. Over the course of time the amount of wealth he possessed grew very large, and he became one of the richest men in Westeros at the time. However, they say that he only used a fraction of his true wealth."