Chapter 4

-Years ago- 

"A soldier is outside," sixteen-year-old cousin Isfa, said.

Naima pursed her lips. Her daughter, Wadi, sat on a stool in the kitchen. "The army. They took your father." She sighed. "Wait here." 

The fourteen-year-old looked at the door, then hopped off the stool. 

"They might take you, you know. To the palace," Isfa added. 

"It's not the second army," Wadi replied, opening the oven. She took out the tray and placed it onto the stove.

A little way away, Naima's voice rose.

Isfa sighed. "I hate these soldiers. We're suppliers, for Saint's sake. That should be enough for them." She tied her sleek, straight, waist-length hair into a bun. Unlike Isfa, Wadi untied her ponytail, and let her wavy black hair fall to the middle of her back. Her mother came back. 

"I got rid of him." 

"I know. We could hear you from the kitchen," Isfa remarked. Naima flushed, then glanced at Wadi. "Well?" 

"The kebabs are done." 

"Good." Naima admired the work. "That thing of yours really does work, it seems." 

Isfa looked awkward. Wadi pursed her lips. That was always what her mother was calling her power. Thing. As if it was living and breathing; as if it had a life of its own. 

"Well, I have enough control that it won't burn the house down," Wadi said casually. Naima looked at her daughter, who tied her hair up again. "I'll be sorting the decorations if you need me." She walked to the living room. Isfa sighed softly. 

"She better not burn this house down," Naima muttered. "If she does, I'll kick her out." 

"She won't. She can be fiery, but...she's good," Isfa said. 

"Are you defending her?" Naima asked, putting a hand on her hip. 

Isfa huffed. "If she had any other power, you'd be jumping for joy." 

"Fire is dangerous." 

"So is everything else. It's not what you think it is. It's not the Un-" 

"I know it's not." Naima cut Isfa off, tense. The sixteen-year-old fell silent. 

"Not today. Not on Eid. Please," Naima said quietly. 

"Alright," Isfa sighed. There was a knock. Isfa grinned. She swept past in her anarkli. "Nanabhai is here! Tell Wadi!" she called. 

Naima found Wadi rearranging the decorations. "It looks amazing," she said softly. 

Wadi closed the blinds, something they always did before eating curry, and turned to her. "Thanks," she smiled. "If only I was a sun summoner," she sighed. "Then I could-" 

"Destroy the Fold? Get carted away by the Black General?" 

Wadi shook her head. "I was going to say, light these lanterns without a candle." 

"Well, you could..." Naima gestured. 

"No. I can't take the risk." 

Before Naima could speak, Wadi's eyes lit up. "Nanabhai is here! Why didn't you tell me?" 

"I-" 

Wadi ran to the front of the house. Naima chewed her lip, then followed her daughter in silence.