Chapter 11

Dahlia sat at the table. She'd finished her history homework, which she'd liked, as usual. Now, the eight-year-old drew a sun, then a tree. Opposite her, Saida was looking through a science book, enraptured by the images. Dahlia looked up and cocked her head to the side. Saida noticed and raised an eyebrow at her. "What?"
"You like science," she stated.
"Well, duh." The eleven-year-old watched Dahlia put her drawing to the side and start reading her copy of The Shadow Girl.
"Mama," Saida complained, "why do you let her have that?"
"It's important," Rahim, who was at the stove, answered, even though Saida had asked for Wadi. "So we don't lose sight of good judgment."

Dahlia turned a page. Saida peered at it. "Saints, it has pictures?" she exclaimed.
"Yeah," Dahlia responded simply.
"Ugh. Can you put it away for one second?"

Dahlia looked up. "But I only read it once a month!" she exclaimed.
"Once is too many," Saida grumbled.
"Hey, hey," Rahim said as he approached his daughters. "What did we say about arguing over this?"
"Let people enjoy what they want?" Saida asked, now humbled. "In moderation," she added.
"Moderation means no experiments, not after last time," Dahlia grinned. Saida glared. Dahlia was about to stick out her tongue, then saw Rahim raising his eyebrows at her and thought better of it, instead ducking back behind her book.

"It also means not being mean," Rahim said, hands on his hips, towel thrown over his shoulder. Dahlia peeked over the top of the book and cringed. "Sorry," she said earnestly to Saida.
"You are forgiven," Saida replied, doing a dramatic bow that had Dahlia squinting at her.
"Well, you have proven once again that I have the best daughters-"
"Papa!" Saida protested as Rahim hugged her and kissed her cheek, though she was smiling.
"-in the entire world," he finished, hugging Dahlia and kissing her head.

Just then, Wadi came in. "Saida, can you come help me plant some seeds?"
Saida's eyes lit up. "Coming," she said, jumping off her chair.
Dahlia put down the book. "Why can't I come?" She asked.
"You're eight."
"And?"
Wadi smiled at her younger daughter. "You'll have to wait until you're eleven to help me."
"Eleven?! That's three years!" Dahlia exclaimed.
"Ha." Saida stuck her tongue out at Dahlia, only to freeze and quickly retract it when Wadi gave her a serious look. "Oops."
Wadi smiled at her eldest. "Come on," she said, gesturing with her head, and Saida eagerly followed her outside. Dahlia watched them go, then looked at her father.

"Can I help with supper?" she asked hopefully.
"Not today, but one day. Remember - you have to wait until you're eleven," Rahim smiled. "Rite of passage in this house."

Dahlia pouted and laid her chin on her fist, staring into space. One day, she thought, and sighed, oblivious to the fact that that day would come sooner than everyone thought.