T - The Variable

I think I'm having more fun with this story than I thought I would. Normally, I get tired of writing about halfway through a chapter and have to take a break, but I finished the last one all in one setting and hopped right into this chapter afterwards. Well, not right after. First, I had to get some sleep because I stayed up all night writing Peter's chapter, then went to work, but after I blacked out for a few hours and finished my shift, I got straight to work on this one.

We're halfway finished with all the "introduction" chapters. It won't be long now before the real story begins. Though, as far as these early chapters are concerned, this one just might be the most important. What does that mean? You'll see.

I don't own RWBY, Spider-Man, any version of Ben 10, or Generator Rex.

.

.

.

"Admit it Tennyson, you've already lost."

"No way dude, I'm about to hit my second wind."

"Whatever makes you feel better, just don't forget to pick up my smoothie on your way to the finish line."

It was well past midnight, and the desert highway barely had any street-lamps to illuminate the darkness. The roar of engines could be heard as two green and black sports cars tore through the empty space, so close together, the drivers could reach out and high-five if they wanted to.

It was a fairly normal occurrence. Once a week, every Friday, these same cars went through this same race. From the Bellwood exit to the dead end at the quarry, a thirty-mile track that was almost always empty at this time of night, making it perfect for races. Tonight, especially, was a particularly important race.

The loser had to buy the winner smoothies for a week. One racer had everything to gain, the other had everything to lose.

"You know, you're gonna get sick if you keep drinkin' all those smoothies, Tennyson. Why don't you lay off for a while, leave 'em to me for a bit? I'll take good care of 'em for you." The car that was more green than black was being driven by a rough-looking boy with black hair cut short in the front and left long and unkempt on the back and sides who had spent the past five minutes tossing sarcastic comments at his opponent.

"Now why would I do that Kevin? Even if I do get sick, I can always count on you to take me back for more. All it takes to fix me up is more smoothie." The opposite car, more black than green, was driven by another teenager with short, brown hair and green eyes. He looked fairly ordinary, save for his oddly unique, green jacket emblazoned with the number 10 over the left breast.

"How 'bout this Tennyson? If some cosmic force intervenes and you end up winnin' this week, if you make me spend more than a hundred bucks before next Friday, you can forget about me fixing that car for you next time you break it."

"Yeah, right. We both know you love cars too much to let one go unfixed. I don't even have to ask for you to haul it off to the garage. Face it Kevin, you're predictable."

To prove his point, the jacketed boy swerved violently to the right, beating Kevin on the turn and cutting him off. Just like the last three times, Kevin had tried to stay on the inside curve and wound up getting blocked.

"You like that?" A taunt was thrown over the lead driver's shoulder, his eyes momentarily leaving the road.

"Eyes on the road Tennyson, never know what you'll miss."