False Start Part 1

I'm sorry for the wait, but this chapter just... kicked my ass. And by that, I mean this chapter and the next one. You see, by the time I finally finished everything up, the chapter was so stupidly long, I just had to break it in half.

For reference, the last chapter was 69 pages long. After editing and before snapping this chapter in half, it was 147 pages long. As things stand now, the two halves combined come out to 161 pages. I've finished editing this half, so I'm posting it now, and the other half will be posted in 2-3 days. Now, that's not a possibility, it's not a "maybe," this is a guarantee; the next chapter will be dropped in the next 2-3 days.

But whatever, let's move on. I really don't think it should ever take me this long to write another chapter unless there's actually something in my life stopping me from writing, like finals or something. This one was just... unique, because I had to do some planning. Work out exactly what I wanted to do in the future, how I wanted the characters to be, and how best to set those things up now for big payoffs later. Of course, that only made me stress myself out, thinking I had to work out exactly how everything had to play out in the future and that the groundwork had to be perfect, no exceptions.

I ended up overthinking it and doing 14 rewrites.

The good news is that, because I did so much overthinking, I've planned out an absurd amount of content and plot/character developments for the future, most of which were set up for in this chapter. And by that, I mean this chapter and the next one. Seriously, I pretty much roughly mapped out the entire series. It's, uh... it's gonna be long. This ride is probably gonna last a few years.

But for real, I'm just... not that happy about these chapters. I struggle with segments where I have to stick pretty close to canon because it doesn't give me a lot of room to be creative, and when I do throw in changes of my own, it just feels... wrong, somehow. Chapters like this, where I'm all but required to ride canon, just bug me. Maybe it's not as bad as I think and I'm just overreacting, but I'd personally give these two chapters, like... a 6 or 7 out of 10. I can't wait for chapter 8, where I'll be back to having all the freedom I want to be as creative as possible. Until then... even I have to call these chapters mid. I tried so hard, but I just couldn't get them perfect. I'm probably gonna come back at some point and do some editing to see if I can't make it any better.

My complaints aside, it's good to see you all again. I really am sorry you had to wait so long, please accept my apologies for that. This particular half might not be the most exciting, but I promise the second half coming in the next few days will more than make up for that. Let's get it going.

I don't own RWBY, Spider-Man, any version of Ben 10, or Generator Rex.

.

.

.

"Thank you for your patronage, dear. You will come by again, won't you?" I don't get very many customers these days."

Today was finally the day. After waiting for so long, the days until the term began ran out, and all that was left was to get to Beacon. Jaune had already packed up everything he brought with him and was now turning his room key in at the front desk.

"Of course. If I'm ever in Vale again, I'll come see you. Thank you for everything, ma'am." Armed with a kind smile, he handed the bronze key over the counter to the old lizard Faunus. She accepted it gingerly and hung it on a numbered hook hammered into the wall behind her. When she turned around, she looked strangely annoyed.

"You know my name, young man. I expect you to use it." The scaly old woman pressed her hands onto her hips, glaring pointedly at her young customer.

"R-right, sorry about that, Liza." Jaune had honestly thought she was joking when she had told him her name four days ago, and wasn't able to keep himself from laughing. Apparently her parents had a sense of humor. Thankfully, she did as well, and laughed right along with him after saying "My name is Liza" with a perfectly straight face.