005.

Nia

"Good afternoon, beautiful." Damian woke me up with a kiss on the cheek.

"What time is it?" I sat up, stretched, and yawned.

"Time for you to get up and go get a nigga something to eat. I want you to make me some of them good ass chicken and waffles you be whipping up. I got a taste for that good shit right now."

"Damian, I'm tired as hell. My back is sore from you slamming it into the wall last night. I need to rest for a couple of hours," I said and pulled the covers back over my head.

"I ain't got shit to do with that. All I know is I'm hungry as fuck, and I want you to take yo' ass to the store and get me something to eat. You can sleep after I eat," he said.

"But look at my eye, babe. You think I want to go in the store looking like this? If someone sees me in public, I know the town is gonna talk about me once again. I ain't trying to have nobody laughing at me."

"Shit, you got shades, don't you? Put on a pair of them thousand dollars shades I bought yo ass. Ain't nobody got no fucking business looking at you like that anyway. The fuck you shamed for? Half of them hoes want a nigga to fuck them and black they fucking eyes too. Fuck them hoes, unless you got a nigga out there trying to look at you," he spat.

"Oh my god, here we go. You know I'm not seeing nobody, Damian. Don't start, please. You did enough last night. I thought you said today was gonna be a good day."

"It will, as soon as a nigga gets something to eat. Now come on, put on some clothes, and go get the shit.

Lord knows I didn't feel like going to get anything from the store. I wasn't in the mood to cook anything for his ass either, especially after how he beat me last night. He didn't even apologize for what he did, which led me to think he didn't give a damn about me. He wasn't sorry for shit and would beat my ass again the minute I said something to piss him off.

My heart was broken. I hated it had to be this way with Damian because I loved him so much. I wanted him to change so badly and was even willing to wait for that day to come. Growing up, my mama was a victim of domestic violence with my dad. He used to beat her ass every chance he got. One day, he almost killed her right in front of me, but God wasn't ready for her to come home. Well, not at that time.

My mother would pray for him every night and ask God to heal my dad and fix his evil heart. She loved him, just like I loved Rion, and wasn't willing to let him go. She stood by his side, and eventually, he ended up changing. The ass whoopings disappeared out the blue. My dad started showing my mother respect, going to church on Sundays, and spending more time with his family.

Instead of leaving my dad when he was at his worst, she stayed right there and held him down. She didn't believe in being with a man for several years and leaving him when things went left, just for him to fix himself up for the next woman when he finally decided to change. I guess that was my issue. I had been with Damian for a long time, and I was afraid he'd change for another woman after I had been through hell and high water with him.

I prayed that one day Damian would change for me. I was ready to be a mom and raise our children together. He had the potential to do better, so I was gonna continue to pray for him. Maybe one day, God would answer my prayers like he did with my mom.