15 Honestly

When I awoke I opened my eyes to Nick staring down at me intensely. His gaze softened when he saw I was awake. "Aye baby girl. How do you feel?" His australian accent very present but voice quiet. His hand was entwined with my own and I was still thinking about the question. Then a searing pain arose in my arms. I looked down to see them wrapped up. "OH GOD! What happened?? I exclaimed panicked.

I attempted to get up but Nick stopped me. "When the beaker exploded you threw up your arms to protect your face and that did the trick. You also fractured a couple bones in your right leg from stopping so quickly. Doctor said you will need crutches a week or two so you don't make it worse."

"How long have you been here?" I asked. "I have been next to you ever since it happened." My heart warmed and I squeezed his comforting hand.

"Oh my God, where is Luke?" I say. "He probably feels so bad I need to see him to let him know it's okay." Nick's face hardened, "he should feel bad he put you in danger and then hurt you. Katie if he cared as much as he claims to how could he do something so stupid. Katie, I'd never hurt you in any way." he said genuinely. "I know Nick." it was all I could get out.

I was home later that day and mom was going by the pharmacy and dad went to the store to get a bunch of stuff I asked for. All of a sudden I heard a knock on the door and I had no idea who it could be. I thought maybe Nick had come back, but doubted it, he'd been with me all day.

I got up on my crutches and opened the door to find Luke standing there with tears running down his face. "Oh my God Katie. I am so sorry." he managed. I tugged on his sleeve telling him to come in. He sat down next to me on the couch still with tears raining down. I lifted his chin so he was looking at me. " Luke it's okay. It was an accident." I said softly, wiping away his tears. "I hurt you." he said, voice breaking.

"Relationships have ups and downs." I say laughing. "I cannot believe you can joke right now." he exclaims with a chuckle. "Luke please it's okay." I promise. "I guess I'll forgive myself, but you have to prove to me that you forgive me first."
"And how am I supposed to do that?" I ask.
"Oh Katie I thought you knew me better." he jokes. I laugh.

This time was different than any other time we had kissed. It was more. His teeth found my bottom lip and bit softly and I parted my lips. It wasn't terribly long before we pulled apart.

That smile. He laughed. "I don't think that friends normally do that." he pointed out. "I think your right." I laugh along with him.

Luke's strong embrace was very warm and comforting and I began to slip away, but before I fell asleep I heard him ask me. "Katie?" "Yeah?" I reply. "Do you love me?" he asked nervously.
"Yes." I say. His grip tightens and I smile.

As I stared through that window up in my Katie's tree, my heart was broken. She didn't want me..