Chapter 21

No ones POV:
             Zuko clambered back onto the cliffside, panting. He scanned the temple below anxiously until his eyes landed on Y/N who was gazing back up at him. Hurriedly he made his way down to her. "Y/N, I—" he began, but was interrupted by her throwing herself into his arms.
             "I thought I lost you!" she sobbed.
             "Zuko," a more solemn voice said behind her. Zuko let go of Y/N to face the Avatar, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks."
            "Hey, what about me?" the water tribe guy piped up, "I did the boomerang thing!"
            Y/N let go of Zuko to put her hand on his arm to quiet him as Zuko started speaking, "Listen, I didn't explain myself very well yesterday..."
            He kept one eye on Y/N, watching her reaction as he tried to explain what he'd realized, hoping she knew she was a big part of his change. Then he turned to the earth bender who sat nearby, apologizing for burning her feet, "...I need to be more careful and control my bending, so I don't hurt people unintentionally."
            To his surprise, the Avatar gave him a startled, enlightened look, "I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher."
He explained that he had burned the waterbending girl—Katara—once and was scared to firebend again. Zuko nodded understandingly. Then Aang bowed,
"I'd like you to teach me."
Relief washed over Zuko, "Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group."
Aang lifted a hand, "Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them."
He turned to the earthbending girl, "Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned. What do you think?"
She smirked, punching one fist into her other palm, "Go ahead and let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet."
Next Aang turned to Y/N, "Y/N? You're feelings matter just as much...considering..."
Her face still held all the relief of Zuko being alive, but she still hesitated, before saying directly to the Avatar, "I won't pretend everything's forgiven, but it's true you need a teacher and true that I believe Zuko can change—so yes."
He turned to the water tribe boy and Katara in turn who reluctantly agreed as well. With that settled, Zuko eagerly followed Sokka to his room.

My POV:
            Sleep evaded me long into the night. Finally, I had given up on trying to fight myself and slipped out of my room I shared with Toph. I figured she felt me leave, but this time I didn't care. I stepped into Zuko's room a few doors down to find him asleep, facing the wall.
            Silently I laid down on the bed next to him, with my back dangerously close to his. After what felt like ages, I felt him shift, felt his eyes on me. I stiffened, waiting for him to say something.
            After a moment however, I felt Zuko wrap his arms around me—hesitant at first, then he curled against me tightly, desperately, burying his face in my shoulder.
           "You're here," he murmured.
           "I am," I whispered back, "I'm sorry I left—"
           "No, I lied to you and manipulated you. I'm the one who should be sorry. You were right to leave,"
           "I promised I would stay by your side and I left you instead of working things out,"
           "Y/N," he said my name slowly, like he was savoring the taste, "Your leaving is what helped me see that I needed to leave."
           "And I'm so proud of you for that. It must have been hard,"
          "It wasn't that hard," he admitted, "I realized that you were the only one there I cared about and you were already gone."
         "Ah, Zuko," I sighed.
         "So should we just call a truce? We're together again...and I assume you don't hate me...since you're here,"
        I rolled over to press my face into his chest, "Okay, truce. You have to earn back my trust though."
        "I will. I promise,"