Scan

Florence woke up the next morning, she had the worst headache she had ever had and the hangover was her first. The girl moved to the dining area and joined in with eating but sat away from everyone, the brunette remembered being with Daryl last night but she didn't remember too much after that. Her eyes landed on Daryl who grabbed some food, he sat beside her, handing her some water. 

"Thanks." She mumbled, rubbing her temples, he nodded slightly keeping his eyes on everyone else in the room. 

"Did I say anything or do anything that made you uncomfortable?" The girl questioned, looking at Daryl worriedly, he shook his head and gave her a reassuring smile. 

"Nah, nothing, you were just giggling your ass off. You're a happy drunk." She snickered and shook her head. 

"Of course I am." Florence and Daryl followed Jenner to the viewing room. They all stared at a large tv that had scans on the screen. Her eyes widened seeing the brain, she watched the brain and watched the synapses fire off. Florence understood what he was ranting about, she studied the brain in high school, and she understood what she was looking at to a surface level of knowledge. 

"You don't make sense? Ever?" Daryl questioned, which caused Jenner to clarify. 

"Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry the messages. They determine everything a person says, does or thinks from the moment of birth to the moment of death." Florence stared at the brain, watching as the brain started dying and the colour faded away. She watched the virus take place on the brain, she wiped away a tear that slid down her cheek. She watched little signals light off. Florence shook her head, there were no answers and that broke her. 

Florence sat down, keeping her gaze down, as she came to terms again with that there was nothing left. 

"I'm gonna get shit-faced drunk again." 

"I'm joining you," Florence told Daryl, rubbing her face tiredly. The girl turned to Dale who asked about the countdown, she stood up and walked closer to Jenner as she listened to him. 

"The basement generators they run out of fuel." 

"And then?" Jenner didn't answer. 

"Vi, what happens when the power runs out?" Rick asked to the ceiling. 

"When power runs out, facility-wide decontamination will occur." Florence shook her head, she walked away and grabbed a bottle of wine. Walking to her room, she grabbed a bottle of wine and her bags. She sat on the couch, putting the bottle to her lips and yelled as she threw it at a wall. Mason looked at the shattered glass and stained wall as he walked in, he grabbed his bags in copy of her actions. 

"We can't stay here, can we?" He questioned, the girl shook her head, following the others, the girl stared numbly at Jenner and sat down on the ground. Now wishing she hadn't thrown the bottle at the wall. They were sealed in, she knew what this meant and knew that this would be the end. 

"What happens in thirty minutes!" Florence knew the stories her father told her, she shook her head laughing in shock at the situation. 

"The whole place goes boom!" Florence called out, everyone glanced at her, not believing her, she pushed herself up and walked over to Jenner, getting up close and personal.

"Isn't that right?" He didn't answer and that pissed her off.

"Isn't that goddamn right!" She shouted, shoving him against the controls. Florence punched the man, staring at him with tears in her eyes. 

"You are letting us die! You're a bastard!" Florence cried out, screaming at him as she punched him again. Mason stood frozen in his spot, he glanced at Jenner, hoping that his sister was wrong. 

"Well, is she right!" Daryl shouted, watching as the girl shoved him again.

"Do you know what this place is? We protected the public from very nasty stuff! Weaponised smallpox! Ebola to wipe out half the country! Stuff you don't want getting out! Ever!" The girl shook her head, staring horrified at the building. 

"In the event of a catastrophic power failure and a terrorist attack, for example, HITS are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." 

"HITS?" Rick questioned. 

"Vi, clarify." 

"High impulse Thermobaric fuel-air explosives consist of a two-stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of a significantly great power than any other known explosive except nuclear. The vacuum pressure ignites the oxygen between 5,000 and 6,000 degrees and is useful when the greatest loss of life and damage is desired." Florence dropped to her knees, shaking her head and tightly hugged Mason who sat on the floor with her. Florence sat with the kids and their parents. Mason sat with her, they were crying and ignoring the men who were trying to break through the doors. 

Florence felt no comfort from knowing it would only take a second to die. Florence yelped seeing Shane hold a gun to the man, she stood in a corner cowering down and covering her ears as he fired the gun. Florence relaxed after the gun was taken away and stood closer to her brother. 

"It's going to be okay, we're dying together, we're dying in family company." She whispered, trying to accept the idea of dying, she glanced at Daryl who was still trying to break the door. She glanced back at Jenner as he opened the doors. She swiftly ran out, dragging her brother along with him. Florence still wanted to cry, she was crying, she worked with everyone to get the doors open but nothing worked. Daryl grabbed her arm dragging her and consequently her brother away from the glass as Carol handed Rick a grenade. 

Daryl pushed her and her brother down, Florence covered Mason's body with her's Daryl covered her body with his.  Resting his hands on her ear but buried his head in between his arms to cover his own. The mini explosion went off, she didn't know what was happening, her ears rang and she could feel herself being dragged out.

She came back to the world once she saw the walkers, she swung her spear at them, stabbing a couple as they neared her. The brunette girl continued running at her brother's side and with Daryl close behind. The trio hopped into the truck, and instantly Daryl pushed Florence down, and then Mason and Daryl covered them both, he could hear Florence whimpering and knew she hadn't stopped crying but there wasn't much to be done. 

The CDC went up in flames. Florence cried as her car shook from the explosion, she slowly sat up after feeling the weight be taken off of her. She covered her ears and glanced at the two as they sat up, glancing at each other and looking at the cars to make sure they were all okay. 

Florence wiped away her tears, she sniffled and glanced at the building, part of her wished she stayed behind but the thought of her family being out there reassured her. Family meant too much to her and she didn't want to leave them in a world knowing she could find them.