The Crypt

The following week was awkward

The following week was awkward. Ominis avoided Sebastian and I like the plague, which couldn't have been easy being blind. He refused to speak to either one of us, which didn't seem to bother Sebastian, but made me incredibly nervous. Ominis knew too much, he may not know about the artifact specifically, but he knew that Sebastian never quit the dark arts, and he knew we where looking for something.

Sebastian and I spent all our free time pouring over books and maps in the library, narrowing down which estate might be the one with the last known owner of the artifact buried within its crypt. Based off the sketch of the artifact Sebastian had found the week prior, we had coined the artifact as the "raven ring", less chance of catching the attention of anyone who may be listening in on our conversations, nothing good would come from anyone hearing us talk about a dark artifact.

We had managed to narrow down our search to three estates, all on the banks of the lake and all with grounds large enough to fit a family crypt. Two of the three had been abandoned long ago, but one still housed an elderly wizard. We decided to start at one of the abandoned estates, which is how we ended up here, ankle deep in mud, staring at the entrance to a forgotten crypt.

The sun was beginning to set, casting shadows against the pale stones of the crypt. Vines obscured the entrance, it was clear nobody had been down here in a very long time.

I took a deep breath to steel myself and looked over at the handsome man next to me, who met my gaze with a similar expression on his face. He reached out his hand and grasped mine. Facing forward we proceeded into the crypt hand in hand.

Sebastian tapped his wand over some of the stones at the entrance, and after a few tries and fails, he tapped a stone that shimmered and then started a chain reaction with all the other stones, shifting and turning in on themselves until an entrance revealed itself to us. I gulped down my fear and stepped in besides Sebastian.

The air was cold and moist, and smelled faintly of decay. As we walked into the first chamber, charmed torches lit to illuminate each wall. We passed the chamber to a curving stairwell that went straight down into the earth, a black pit that looked as if it would swallow us up. The stairwell wasn't wide enough to allow us to walk hand in hand, so Sebastian lead the way, wand out at the ready. Our footsteps echoed off the walls, the only sound other than my own heartbeat that I could hear.

At the bottom of the staircase, another chamber appeared, much larger than the chamber up above. This must be it, the master room in the crypt. The torches illuminated dozens of tomb sized openings in the walls, with one slightly larger tomb sitting directly in the center of the chamber.

Sebastian turned to me and chuckled, "well, no point in putting it off" as he accio'd the very first set of bones from the wall. I jumped as they rattled towards us, this place was putting me on edge. We sifted through the bones until we found the finger bones, no ring. We repeated this process until all of the chambers in the walls had been searched, which only left the singular tomb.