The Devil is and always will be a Gentlmen

Authors note: violence and gore in this chapter

Authors note: violence and gore in this chapter. If this is a trigger for you, I advise you skip this chapter.

*****************

Sebastian and I stood on the banks of Marunweem lake, staring up at the decrepit manor looming above us. Just like the last one, this one had been abandoned years and years ago, the elements grinding away at the polished marble until the manor almost faded into the foliage surrounding it. Illuminated by the moonlight, the crumbling manor was still an eerie alabaster color; hauntingly beautiful, almost like a certain blonde hair Slytherin.

Woah, where did that thought come from?

I very literally shook my head to clear my mind of the intrusive thought and Sebastian glanced over at me, I returned his look with an innocent smile. What Sebastian doesn't know won't hurt him.

I focused my thoughts on the task at hand; finding the raven ring. We knew that the crypt in this manor was located somewhere beyond the gardens, but we also knew that this manor in particular was rumored to house any number of Ranrok loyalists. Just because the asshole was dead didn't mean people where through pursuing financial and political gains on the tail winds of his now dying movement. From experience, both Sebastian and I knew wherever coin was to be made, assholes wouldn't be far behind, and usually dangerous assholes at that.

So even knowing what we knew about the manor most likely crawling with loyalists, we stood outside its gates, gripping our wands, ready to face whatever we might meet on the inside.

Sebastian climbed up the iron wrought gates, wisely choosing the stealthy route instead of the head on route that would most likely get us killed. Once he reached the top he turned around to help me get my legs up onto the fence, before hauling me over the top with him and onto the other side. Sometimes I felt like a rag doll compared to Sebastian, the last year had really been good to him growth wise.

We stalked our way below the shattered and dusty windows of the manor, peeking in to see if we could spot anyone or anything. We would need pass through or around the manor to reach the gardens on the opposite side. In one window that seemed to be looking into a formal dining room we spotted a few goblins, so with a silent nod we wordlessly agreed to try the outskirts of the manor instead.

We padded our way around the gigantic estate, making sure to keep our heads low. We ducked behind bushes when it was necessary, and crept behind walls when we could. We had made it to the back end of the property, right to the edge of the gardens, before all hell broke loose.

It started with one goblin, standing out on a veranda smoking a hand rolled cigarette who noticed the slight shimmer in the air of Sebastians disillusionment charm he had placed over us. He stared at the movement, and in return I froze completely, hoping the goblin would dismiss the movement as a trick of the light.

But of course, no such luck.

The goblin scrunched his face up in suspicion and started moving towards us. I felt Sebastian wrap his arms around my torso and pull us into the shadows of the foliage behind us, placing one of his large hands over my mouth to prevent me from making any noise. My heartbeat felt like a hummingbirds, the incessant fluttering mirroring Sebastian's own heartbeat against my back.