CHAPTER ONE: Welcome to Hope's Peak Academy, Class 79!

One year has passed since the unfortunate death of Toko Fukawa. Just as she predicted, no one believed she was actually Genocide Jack. Life for Class 78 had been just as normal as usual, but at the same time, a lot has changed as well.

Kyoko started her own detective agency in honour of her late mother, with Taka and Chihiro as her frontmen. Meanwhile Makoto became a doctor and scientist, though most of his time is spent taking care of people rather than experiments. But that's just who he was. He had the title Dr. Makoto Naegi, sometimes formally referred to as Dr. Naegi, but he just preferred being called by his actual name, Makoto.

Makoto was in the middle of treating Mahiru Koizumi, the Ultimate Photographer. She was a member of Kyoko's Detective Agency, being the person in charge of taking photos of crime scene evidence and autopsies, which she shared handling the latter with the Ultimate Nurse, Mikan Tsumiki, who is also Makoto's assistant.

Mahiru had been attacked trying to catch a criminal with Kyoko. Her left shoulder was bitten and scratched, with a lot of black bruises on it, but Makoto knew what could help it, and had just finished treating it.

"There. You should feel a bit more comfortable now. I'd suggest taking ibuprofen too, to help the pain go away quicker." "Thanks, Makoto. You're a really nice guy, you know that?" Mahiru smiled. "Ahaha, it's nothing, Mahiru. Really. I'm just doing my job." the brunette laughed. Mahiru got up, and began to walk out. "Thanks again, you two! See you later!" she waved goodbye. "Bye, Mahiru!" Makoto waved back. He turned his back to Mikan, smiling.

"Well, that was a good job, Mikan!" he said. "Y-you think?" Mikan asked. Makoto placed his hands on her shoulder. "Of course. I don't think you give yourself enough credit. You're a good nurse and assistant, Miki." he smiled, reassuring her. Mikan couldn't help but smile back. "You can take a break if you w-want, Makoto. I'll handle the rest before we have to close." Mikan suggested.

"Oh, I do remember there's somewhere I need to be right now anyways, so I can take a break afterwards anyways. Just call if you have any problems, Mikan." Makoto replied. He grabbed his bag and left the room, smiling and waving goodbye to Mikan, who waved back.

Makoto walked on through the hallway, looking at a few notes for an upcoming meeting, when suddenly, he felt a harsh impact, and nearly fell flat on his bum before an arm wrapped itself around his waist. Makoto sighed as he realised he had just bumped into someone.

"Woah, careful, Makoto! Are you okay?" a masculine voice spoke from above him. Makoto turned to see who he almost bumped into, his face immediately flushing red when he saw who it was. It was a boy with spiky-ish brown hair, his green eyes a beautiful hue, that Makoto found himself zoned out whilst looking into them.

"H-Hajime!" Makoto spluttered, coming back to his senses. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings!" Hajime laughed. "It's okay, buddy. I wasn't really paying attention either."

Hajime Hinata, the Ultimate Reserve Course Student. Makoto's best friend, a member of Hope's Peak's Reserve Course, and Makoto's crush. Hajime has a crush on him too. And neither of them have realised that they both have feelings for each other yet. Young love, am I right?

"Where are you heading off to, anyways, Haji?" Makoto asked. "Well, I was going to go to the hospital to collect you, but looks like I don't need to do that anymore." Hajime smiled, ruffling Makoto's hair as he spoke. "We've both volunteered to help with the preparations for the welcome party for Class 79, remember?"

Class 79 was the newest class to be introduced into Hope's Peak Academy, with approximately 17 new students coming into the school starting today. One was from St. Koa Girls Academy, the rest were from the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles. Jin Kirigiri, Kyoko's father, and the headmaster of Hope's Peak held a welcome party for every new class that came to the school, with Hajime's class, Class 77, being the previous class to have one.