Chapter 21: The Mirror of Erised

We slipped into a room and pulled off our cloaks. A mirror stood in the middle of the room. We walked over to it and Harry stepped forward and looked in. His eyes grew wide.

"Violet,"He whispered. "It's mum and dad."

I went to where he was standing and he moved aside. I didn't see anything but a man in a long black cloak standing beside me. He smiled and put his hand on my shoulder. I looked behind me but no one was there. I felt my shoulder. The hand wasn't there either. Then I realized who it was. Severus. My eyes filled with tears. Happy or sad, I couldn't tell. I smiled back him, and Harry waved his hand in front of my face.

"Violet?"He asked. "What's wrong?"

"I...."I said. "I don't see them. Instead there's something better."

"What?"Harry asked.

"It's... not important,"I said. I sat and watched Severus, smiling.

"OK..."Harry said, doubtfully. "Here, let my try."

"No,"I said, pushing him back.

"Fine,"Harry replied. "I'll go get Ron."

"You do that,"I said.

He ran off, and I was about to lose myself in Severus' eyes when they burst through the door.

"Violet, move for just a minute,"Harry said.

"Fine,"I growled, and stood up. Severus disappeared.

Ron stood in front of the mirror and his eyes widened.

"There,"Harry said. "You see them now, don't you? That's my dad over..."

"That's me!"Ron exclaimed. "Only I'm... head boy! And bloody hell! I'm Quidditch captain too! Harry, do you think this mirror shows the future?"

"How can it?"Harry asked. "Our parents are dead."

He walked Ron back and we both sat in front of the mirror, smiling.

"Back again, you two?"Dumbledore's voice asked.

We stood and whipped around. Sure enough, Dumbledore stood to the side of the room, hiding in the shadows.

"I see like so many before you that you have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised,"He said. "And I trust that by now you know what it does. Let me give you a clue. The happiest man on earth would look into the mirror and see only himself, exactly as he is."

"So then, it shows us what we want,"Harry said. "Whatever we want."

"Yes,"Dumbledore said. "And no. It shows you nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of your heart. Now you, Harry, have never known your parents, and you see them standing beside you. Violet, you yearn for love and a friendship that will never go away, so you see the one who you love most in the world."

I smiled. "Yes, sir,"I said.

"But men have wasted away in front of this mirror,"Dumbledore continued. "Even gone mad. That is why tomorrow it will be moved to a new home. And I must ask you... not to go looking for it again."