05

It's Friday which means a new day and a new smile.

After dodging questions from Karman and Sam this morning, I took a joyous walk to Roast Room. I refuse to think about last night. In my mind, last night didn't happen.

All smiles and sunshine today.

Smiles and sunshine.

Sunshine and smiles.

Yup.

I tuck a stray curl behind my ear before entering my favorite coffee shop.

"Hey Nance!" I greet as she finishes up with a customer.

"Well hello there sweetie pie" she smiles. "Where's your fella?"

"You know," I tap my chin. "You never treated the other guy like this"

"I never liked him" she reaches over to pinch my cheek. "I always knew you were too good for the likes of him"

"I would've appreciated that advice two years ago" I mumble. Nancy gives me a sympathetic look and I immediately put a bright smile on my face. "But I'm great now! And Mr. Grump said he would-"

My phone rings as if my words spoke it into existence. Nancy slides me a napkin of my favorite bread with a devious smile on her face.

I wiggle my eyebrows before taking the napkin and slice of heaven over to an empty table.

"Has anyone ever told you that your punctuality is unsettling?" I answer with a smile that feels more genuine than the one I started my day with.

"Only you" his deep voice through the phone settles something inside me and suddenly I'm missing him and his presence, wishing he was here.

Which is not a good thing.

At all.

"I thought you had a meeting to be in" I pop a piece of warm bread in my mouth. I'll never ever get tired of the taste.

"I stepped out" he replies smoothly.

"Oh" I panic sitting up. "No you didn't have to do that, go back to your meeting-"

"What are you wearing today?" he cuts me off with the question.

"What? Uh-" I'm suddenly glad that he's not here to see the blush on my cheeks.

"Don't tell me now you're shy" he drawls making things in my body tingle.

"No" I refute and clear my throat. "I'm wearing a blush pink blouse with matching floral pants and pink flats"

He makes a noise of satisfaction that goes straight to my private parts. Why is a conversation with him over the phone so much more intense?

"And how is your hair?"

"Down with some of my curls clipped back" I reply, trying not to sound so breathless. I'm just talking about my hair for heavens sake.

"Beautiful" he grumbles as if it's an insult and not a compliment. I blush anyway.

"Do I have to worry about you bringing me a scrapbook of all my looks catalogued one day?" I tease, trying to rid the pulses beating through my body.

"I would never give it to you" he muses. "I would keep it for myself"

I gasp dramatically. "Was that a joke? Did you just make a joke?" 

He hums or maybe grunts or a combination between the two. "You're rubbing off on me"

"Glad to hear it" I smile triumphantly.

"I bet you are" he replies before letting out a sigh. "I have to go Pumpkin"