Prologue: The History of Teresa MacCoy

"People are like stained - glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Prologue:

17 years of existence and I have never given vanity any real thought.

In my opinion, it is something that which creates a misery to people's lives. It brings about a particular social disease that paralyzes a major part of the human brain thereby preventing it from functioning well - evident on those people who are too absorbed with narcissistic activities in the form of selfies which I find absolutely humorous. It also shuts anyone's heart as people tend to care more about themselves and less about others. Oh, another thing, it is financially draining as you need to splurge on shallow stuff one sees on fashion magazines to keep up with the thing they call 'trend.' Despite its drawbacks, I cannot deny that it has positive effects to the country's Economy as it means more people are buying thereby creating a demand that needs to be supplied. The Economic impact that sprout from vanity has kept some businesses afloat and, when there is business, jobs will be created.

Allow me to assert once again, I really do not care about vanity - it is too shallow. I want something more than what is superficial; something that will make a big difference; something you deem useful to humanity. Perhaps, finding a cure for cancer or invent the most environment-friendly flying vehicle. Yes, I think those things will be better.

But, I am wondering why vanity has came into my mind when in fact I mention that I have not given it any real thought. Well, honestly, I don't know. I am simply scribbling something in my organizer to outline my day to day activities - oh, I do this every week - while contemplating the life I had before I reach high school. Suddenly, vanity comes to me like an unwelcomed guest.

Speaking of what I am contemplating, it is mostly the past. Any logical and intelligent person would have said that thinking of the past will not do us any good as it already happens and there is nothing in the world that can be done to undo it - not unless you have time machine but considering that it is still not invented yet then the idea is rather preposterous if not far-fetched.

But remembering the past is somehow therapeutic to me, no matter how traumatic it may have been, as it allows me to analyze where I have been wrong before so that I will not do the same mistake. I find it brain-stimulating, actually; somewhat akin to solving a rather difficult Mathematical problem.

By the way, I have a confession, I used to be romantic - when I am still in kindergarten. I remember that I used to feel that thing they call 'love.' As much as I think it is as equally worthless as vanity, I can't help but somehow get fascinated by it. Writers and poets write various literary masterpieces because of it; people live and die for it - the latter I find absolutely insane - and even born because of it - ah, yes, I came to the world because of love according to my parents but I'd rather believe that it is more because of raging hormones which culminates to the act of joining two bodies or, rather, sexual intercourse. I do not want to be so blunt but labeling it as 'making love' is something ridiculous especially to an unromantic person like me.

Oh, did I not deviate from my main topic which is "I used to be romantic?"

Too caught up with my own random opinion and wandering thoughts but, anyway, yes, I used to be.

I remember feeling the closest emotion that can be classified as love when I am still in kindergarten. I used to have a huge crush in this very cute little boy named Andrean Lamb. Who wouldn't be? He resembles that of the heavenly cherubs with his curly hair, remarkable blue eyes and pinkish chubby cheeks that will tempt anyone to pinch it.