Chapter 5

"Come on, you're going to have to tell me what happened in there. I can't help you if you don't." JD said.

Veronica had been silent for the entire car ride. She lay on the window looking out into the night.

"Okay, you leave me no choice." JD said turning down a different path than the one that leads the her house.

"What are you doing?" Veronica asked sitting up in confusion. JD didn't answer. As they passed a few streets then approached a hill Veronica recognized where they were going. Make out point.

JD pulled into a space overlooking the town below. The star freckled sky twinkled from above.

Veronica felt nauseous. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She didn't want to talk about this, but she knew she had to eventually.

"Fuck, Veronica. You look as though you've seen a ghost." JD said. Veronica played with twiddled her thumbs.

"Tell me what's wrong." JD said moving closer and looking at her in concern. Veronica sighed, taking a moment before finally looking over at him.

"I've been having these dreams..." She began, swallowing nervously.

"About...?" JD asked urging her to continue.

It takes a moment for her to continue. "Sapphic dreams...about Heather. Heather Duke. We kiss and sometimes do other things." Veronica said.

"So? Everyone has a gay dream sometimes. I had one about Billy Idol a few months ago. Doesn't make me gay." JD laughs.

"No JD. This is different. I think I...enjoy them. When I went into that closet with her I enjoyed everythi—" Veronica stops talking when JD grabs her arm.

"You're not a dyke, Veronica." JD says looking at her. His eyes were full of what looked to be both fear and anger. Veronica shivered as goosebumps formed on her arms. He scared her sometimes.

"JD...I think I have feelings for her and I don't know what to do." Veronica said looking at the floor.

"Veronica, you're just confused! That doesn't mean anything!" JD said. You could hear the sound of desperation was in his voice.

Images of what happened in the closet flashed through Veronica's mind. Heather on top of her smiling down at her. Her soft kisses and the sound of her moans rang through her mind.

"Veronica...be my girlfriend." JD said. Veronica looked over at him. The look in his eyes became even more desperate.

"JD..." Veronica said shaking her head.

"It's just a phase, I promise. I really like you and enjoy spending time with you. I know you have fun with me too. So why can't you go out with me?" He asks.

Did he have a point? Was this a phase? After all, Veronica wasn't gay. Totally not gay. Sure she didn't enjoy kissing JD. To be honest, she didn't know any guy that she wanted to kiss. That didn't make her gay.

"Sure." Veronica says less than enthusiastically.

"That's my girl." JD smiles before grabbing her by the neck and pulling her into a rough kiss. There it was again. The taste of cigarettes.

She could do this. She was straight and JD was a hot guy. Maybe these feelings for Heather would go away.

***
The dreams of Heather didn't go away. In fact, they became more explicit. One involved a 1950s suburban setting where Veronica came home to Heather wearing a green dress making lasagna.

"Welcome home darling." She said flashing her an enchanting smile before giving her a kiss that eventually lead to them having sex on the kitchen table and floor.