Chapter 6 - Fallen Order

Author's Note: For anyone who's having a hard time with the angst, I promiseeee things will start consistently getting better after this chapter. <3 And for anyone who loves angst, I assure you that doesn't mean all the angst is over. XD

~ Tirana Sorki

"What is it?" Obi-Wan asks, speaking to the hologram of the Second Sister. It's the first time anyone's contacted them through their secure comm, and it's unexpected that it's happening so soon.

"The Empire has located two more Jedi," she replies, getting straight to the point, "It appears they were after a holocron containing a current list of Force-sensitive children across the galaxy, recruits the Jedi Order never had time to take."

That's bad. The last thing they need is for it to be in the Empire's hands. Obi-Wan no longer believes in the Jedi, but that doesn't mean he wants them destroyed. And he already knows that all Force-sensitive children the Empire identify disappear. To where, he doesn't know. He doesn't think anyone does.

Well... Anakin might. Maybe.

"We have the holocron at the Nur Fortress now. I believe the Jedi will come after it," the Second sister adds, "I assumed you would like to know this."

"Take the artifact somewhere with no Imperial presence and leave a trail. If they want the holocron, they will come to find you. We will meet you there," Obi-Wan replies before he ends the call. He knew there were other Jedi out there, and he never much cared to find them – he doubts they'd be very happy to see him like this anyway – but maybe these Jedi will have some kind of lead on Padme. It's very unlikely, if even Bail doesn't, but if nothing else, maybe they'll know a way to contact Ahsoka. At least it's worth a chance.

Anakin is hovering nearby, mask focused on him, as though waiting for an explanation.

"They may know something that will point us in the right direction. And we do not need them or the Inquisitors getting ahold of that holocron." Both will only put those children in further danger.

"Yes, Master." There's still a sharper edge to the way he talks now, that wasn't there before. Obi-Wan isn't quite sure what to make of it.

"Do you know what happened to all the Force-sensitive children the Inquisitors have been taking?"

"Some have been taught minimal knowledge of the Force, and function as... Imperial operatives. I do not know for... the remainder."

Well, they'll worry about that later. It's not Obi-Wan's top priority. "Don't start any hostilities with the Jedi," he adds, as an afterthought, "Because I cannot imagine they'll be happy to see you, if they know who you are, Anakin."

"I will not," he retorts.

"Good." He can only hope that this will stay easy.

"How long will you continue calling for a dead man?" he demands with a sudden sharpness, "I am not Anakin Skywalker. I destroyed him."

Obi-Wan glances at him, not quite sure what to think – he is never quite sure what to think of Anakin anymore. They've both changed so much from what they were. "Time changes us all," he replies evenly.

"I am not what he was."

"You are different," Obi-Wan has to reluctantly concede, "But you are still him."

Anakin doesn't respond again, but Obi-Wan can feel his anger growing. It's burning like fire, burning in the way Obi-Wan remembers so well. Except this is a star gone dark. A fire that's burning out, a star that's... "You must know I did not... willingly do this to you," he says, because for the first time it feels like he should. Like he owes Anakin some sort of apology. "I wanted it, but I never would have imagined you would become... this. I thought you were gone."