The Bus Driver Pees His Pants

CHAPTER SIX: LYDIA

It didn't take Lydia long to pack. She'd packed an extra change of clothes, a toothbrush, and a few plant seeds in a Ziploc baggie. The camp store loaned her one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas.

Chiron had given Annabeth, Percy and her each a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia squares.

Afterwards, he gave them a long lecture on the importance of taking ambrosia and nectar in small quantities. Lydia had no urge to argue seeing as on her first week at camp she'd twisted her ankle and decided to give the magic god food a go. Needless to say, she was stuck in bed with a fever of 103 degrees for about a week.

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, and a book on famous classical architecture, to read when she got bored. Lydia didn't understand how anyone could get bored on a life-threatening quest but this was Annabeth so she didn't say anything.

They waved goodbye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia.

Chiron was waiting for them in his wheelchair. Next to him stood Argus. The camp's head of security. He had eyes all over his body so he could never be caught off guard. Today, though, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so they could only see extra peepers on his hands, face and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

Lydia started laughing, but when Argus sent her a glare with every single one of his visible eyes, she immediately quieted down, and half-heartedly apologized.

Luke then came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" He panted. "Glad I caught you."

Annabeth blushed. She was really low-key with this crush.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told Percy. "And I thought...um, maybe you could use these."

He handed him the sneakers, which looked pretty normal. Percy sniffed them.

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling him so much, he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad.

Lydia didn't know what to say, she just grimaced. It was cool enough that Luke had come to say good-bye. She thought he might resent them for going on a quest. She looked down at the ground, feeling sorry for doubting him.

"Hey, man," Percy said, blushing almost as much as Annabeth. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just...kill some monsters for me, okay?"

They shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave a good-bye hug to Lydia, then Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out.

After Luke was gone, Lydia told her, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not."

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?" Percy added.

"Oh...why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?" She said, stomping down the hill.