5. ɢᴏɪɴɢ ꜱᴏꜰᴛ

A few days later I'm back in the training building with Leon, wrapping my hands up before getting ready to spar with him.

"Here, let me." Leon softly says, taking my hands in his and gently wrapping my hands in the fabric. I watch his fingers work, overcome with a heaviness as his touch lingers. Since my first assignment and near death experience Leon has been even more hot and cold than usual, and more extreme.

"I'm not going easy on you." Leon smiles, getting into position and raising his fists. I smile back, cracking my knuckles.

"I know." I murmur, before Leon throws a punch. I narrowly miss it and jab his ribs, he grunts as I hit him, something I've actually been able to do recently.

Leon pushes me back and I use the momentum to swing my leg out, he jumps over it and quickly tackles me to the floor, his forearm at my throat. I huff and buck my hips, rolling us over with all my strength then I lean forward and bury my knee into hus chest as my arm blocks him from getting up. It's the first time I've ever got the best of him.

We both stay like that, breathing heavily as our eyes connect. I smile in triumph as Leon sits up, I begin to fall backwards so Leon's arms wrap around me, pressing my chest to his.

"I won." I cheer slightly breathily, poking his chest with my finger as Leon chuckles. He reaches out and grabs my chin, leaning in close so our lips are inches apart.

"Congratulations, you're such a badass now." He murmurs, his eyes dart to my lips then back to my eyes, the tension between us both growing with every second.

Y/N he's my mentor, I inwardly curse.

I clear my throat and pull away, then stand up as Leon follows, looking just as awkward as I feel. "I think we're done for today, good work." He mumbles, running a hand through his hair.

I nod and turn away, glad that it's warmer today, because I need some time away from this place. I rush inside and grab a few books, then go back out and decide to go for a walk in the woods, I'm more comfortable with the woods now that I'm more acquainted with them.

The sun shines bright as I look up to the blue sky, closing my eyes against the sun before finding a nice clearing where I can sit down for a few hours before having to go back to the compound. I let out a contented sigh and begin reading, getting lost within the pages and story.

Around an hour passes in silence until I hear footsteps. I look up to see Leon making his way towards me, a light smile tilts his lips as he watches me curiously, if anything he looks...shy.

"Want some company?" He asks, waving his hand out as I bite my lip, hesitating. Leon's smile wavers so I quickly interrupt.

"Sure, but I'm reading so don't expect much conversation." I tease as Leon sits beside me. He leans against the same tree as me and closes his eyes, tilting his head to the sunlight. I watch, admiring the way the sun makes his hair lighter, his cheekbones are to die for and all I want to do is graze my lips along them.

I avert my eyes, and on cue as if reading my mind Leon smirks and cracks a single blue eye open. "Need something?"

I shake my head and open my book again, continuing where I left off. A few minutes of comfortable silence passes until Leon leans over my shoulder, his breath tickles my cheek as he scans the page.

At first I think nothing of it, it seems normal and I don't feel any kind of invasion of personal space, until I remember what I'm reading and who is beside me. I slam the book closed, the sound echoes through the woods.

"Oh my God!" I shriek, blushing furiously and burying my face into my hands.

"Why'd you close it, I want to know what happens next." Leon teases, laughing as I elbow him. He just laughs harder and I end up whacking him with the romance novel, the very spicy romance novel.

I end up plucking up my second book I brought with me, which coincidentally enough is the same one I saw on Leon's desk when he carried me into his room.

Leon's eyes widen in surprise as I open the first page. "You like this one?" He mumbles, scooting closer to me.

I nod, "Don't you remember, I told you it was a good one." I say, referring back to the exact words I told him that night. Leon smiles at me before moving further down the tree, stretching his legs out and putting his hands behind his head, which capture my attention since his muscled arms are on display.

"Read to me." He murmurs, once again closing his eyes. I huff and shake my head. "I'm not good at reading out loud."

Leon's lips turn down but he doesn't push, but after a few moments I begin reading out loud. Leon listens intently as we sit for hours, the birds sing in the trees around us and the breeze is gentle. I could almost forget that we're deadlier than we look right now, nestled up in the woods like a couple.

The thought shocks me, but I don't exactly hate the idea. I know Leon's my mentor, surely there's rules against it, but at the same time part of me knows that if he asked me out or kissed me, I'd never turn my back on him.

By the time we get back I've learned that we've missed dinner. My stomach growls but I fight against it, telling everyone that I'm turning in early instead of spending the rest of my evening suffering in silence. I head to my room and put my books away, then collapse onto the bed, feeling a mix of emotions.