10. ʟᴇꜰᴛ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ᴀ ᴡᴏʀᴅ

After a restless night of sleep Leon and I pack our things and leave the hotel, driving back to the compound with a heavy weight. This mission was supposed to be simple, at first I had my reservations being so close to Leon, but after our revelations and confessions I found that my feelings weren't one sided. Just as I thought the mission would go smoothly, it went so so wrong. What was slowly turning into a fun time soon snowballed into my worst nightmare, one that will surely haunt me for a long time. 

Leon keeps reassuring me that I'm safe with him, I trust him with my life, and I'm so relieved he isn't backing away like before, he holds my hand as he drives, and we talk a little, but there isn't much to say. Sure we accomplished the mission, Bryon is gone and done for, but it wasn't without sacrifice and putting my life on the line. It makes me wonder if I'm really cut out to be an agent, or if this is all just some daydream I thought I could pursue. 

Once back in the place I call home, Leon beckons me to follow him as we go to report to Kingston, though I guess he knows the run down. During the car ride home Leon confessed he needed backup, so he caller Kingston and explained everything. Well almost everything, we've agreed to keep our relationship secret for now, both of us unsure about the repercussions it could bring, it's not exactly a workplace romance, and I don't know if Kingston would even allow it.

Leon knocks on Kingston's office and gives me a small smile as we head inside. I take the seat opposite Kingston as Leon stands behind me, his hands resting on the chair back. I like that he's close, though not touching me it still feels like he's comforting me in his own way. 

"Leon, Y/N, I'm glad to sew you both alive and well," Kingston smiles, though it falters as he takes in the bruises and bandages I have wrapped around me, "I'm aware of what happened, and I'm sorry we were misinformed, truly it was a mistake." 

I nod and smile at Kingston, "It's okay, at least we've dealt with Byron, but there's still the case of Shultz-" I begin. Kingston glances up at Leon then back down at me, I sense there's something going on between the two but it isn't my place to comment, I've got to remember that I'm still training and they're both still my superiors. 

"Take a day off tomorrow Y/N, then I expect to see you up and back to work." Kingston offers, it sounds like a dismissal so I nod and mumble a thanks before getting up. Leon's eyes meet mine and I resist the urge to say something, to reach out and touch his arm. I clench my fists and leave, heading up to my room and finally having some peace and alone time. It's much needed, but I sure as hell hate the thoughts that come. 

It's not even flashbacks or fear, no, now I just feel a sense of failure. Whilst Byron is out of the picture, Shultz still runs around, and I can guarantee now Byron is gone, Shultz will take over his work and go all Frankenstein trying to prove himself to himself. 

I huff at the thought, already devising a speech in my head to Kingston requesting to finish what I started, for my own sake. If I pull the sympathy card there's a chance it might actually work. 

Dinner comes and goes as usual, Leon sits beside me, his hand secretly holding mine under the table. It's a risk but both of us are too reckless to stop. I smile at his jokes and we talk about the things we like. To anyone else it seems like we're finally getting along, but between us it's like a love language, getting excited over our hobbies and interests, and thankfully we're both bookworms. 

That evening Leon pops into my room for a few minutes, explaining he doesn't have much time. I shut him up with a kiss, pushing him to the wall as I move my mouth lower to his neck. Leon groans and picks me up, hooking my legs around his waist as he switches positions and presses me to the wall instead, his mouth devours mine even when breathless, it's like we're more desperate for each other than we are for breath. 

"You're holding up so well, I'm so proud of you and how far you've come Y/N, don't forget that." Leon murmurs as he sets me down. I frown at his usual compliment, it sounds like a thing he'd say, but it doesn't at the same time. 

"Thanks, is everything okay? You're not breaking up with me right?" I panic, grabbing his hand as my eyes widen.

Leon chuckles as he leans forward and presses a light kiss to the tip of my nose. "No, but I'm glad we've established we're in a relationship," I give him a pointed look but end up grinning, "I just lo- I just want you to believe in yourself, I know it's hard to when a mission goes sideways." 

I nod, glad he understands. "I'm just worried about catching Shultz, I mean he's now on the run and has all of Byron's research-" 

Leon presses a finger to my lips as I immediately stop talking. "It's alright, just try to focus on yourself right now, you need to heal up fast so I can kick your ass in combat training." Leon teases. 

I roll my eyes and pull away, "I can't wait for us to train together." I smirk, implying something else. Leon's breath catches and he mumbles something under his breath as he shakes his head, his eyes clouding over with lust. 

"I've gotta go. You'll be alright, yeah?" He softly asks. 

I nod, giving him a reassuring smile. His gaze lingers on me for a second before he leaves, and I'm left with a strange feeling in my stomach, like something about that whole interaction didn't feel right. 

The next morning I'm up later than usual, since I have the day off I head downstairs and grab some breakfast from the kitchen, thankfully Kingston explained the situation to the staff and they didn't scold me for grabbing a bowl of cereal. After I take a short walk around the compound, watching the other recruits train, which makes me think of Leon. I realise I haven't seen him yet, and whilst I know he's got things to do, it's odd. 

I knock on Kingston's office and let myself in, growing more confident with him as the meetings pass. "Hello sir," I politely say, lingering near the door and twiddling my thumbs together, "I was wondering if you know where I can find Leon?" 

Kingston gives me a surprised look. "He didn't tell you?" 

I open my mouth then close it, dread flares within me. "He left this morning to go hunt down Shultz, he might not be back for a couple of weeks whilst he searches. You've been reassigned to the different mentors, they'll be giving you your lessons down to what their specialties are."

My ears ring. It explains why Leon was so weird last night, all this time he's been planing on going after Shultz, and I can guarantee he's partly doing it for my sake. "Thanks for letting me know sir." I mumble, turning for the door. 

"Y/N," Kingston calls, "Don't worry, Leon's the best there is, he'll be keeping me updated and I suppose I can let you know how he's faring." 

I smile gratefully and nod, then rush up to my room, grabbing the book Leon and I both like and going back to page one. This is the only connection I'll have with Leon for the time being, and I know when my training begins again tomorrow I'll work harder than usual to impress him for when he gets back. 

Because he will come back. He has to.