Xiii| Not Today

你没有看到我的一面,哦

●▬▬▬▬▬ ⋆🎵🇸🇬 ⋆ ▬▬▬▬▬●

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Not Today

"You are out of my mind, ooh

You aren't seeing my side, ooh"

Mai walked into the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix paddock for the first time feeling overwhelmed by the sights and sounds around her

Mai walked into the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix paddock for the first time feeling overwhelmed by the sights and sounds around her. She had never been a fan of motorsports, but nothing could have prepared her for the excitement that she felt as she walked around the paddock area.

Popcorn stayed at her side, looking up to check on her. Onlookers stared at the service dog as they walked as it wasn't something you would often see (other than Roscoe at the British Grand Prix, Hamilton's dog). A lot of kids wanted to pet him but most parents stopped them, with others being stopped by Pierre's trainer who was with them.

She hadn't gone to practice or qualifying because she'd had a rather long fainting spell that left her with knocked confidence. Huan assured Pierre that Mai was better of home until the main race on Sunday so it wasn't too much. Pierre was disappointed but he agreed because Mai's health meant a lot more to him.

Mai knew people were trying to work out who she was but she did her best to remember that she was just another person. For all everyone else knew, she was just some random influencer that the team had brought in, even if she really wasn't.

As she walked through the paddock, Mai could hear the roar of the engines as they were revved up, most likely Formula 2 or 3 cars. The noise was partly deafening, but Mai did her best to stay focused on following where Pierre was leading her.

She also noticed the fans walking around, some dressed in their team colours, cheering and waving flags. That was something Mai understood and she respected people for being able to follow something so closely.

"You okay, Mai?" Pierre asked.

"I'm okay," Mai confirmed. "It's busy here."

"Yeah, it always is," Pierre chuckled. "We have very good Food though, if that would make you feel better."

"Oh it does," Mai nodded happily.

"Yuki can be found there," Pierre joked. "He likes you. He'll be happy you are here."

They were halfway to the Alpha Tauri hospitality when a familiar face stopped when she recognised Mai. With dark skin, a medium well-built frame, dark brown hair and a broad smile, Robyn Saunders stood in her Mercedes shirt.

"Hi, Mai!" Robyn Saunders greeted cheerfully. "It's the annoying friend of Pierre's from your Italy concert."

"I remember, Hi," Mai nodded politely.

"Maybe if you cheer for Pierre, he might beat me," Robyn joked as she sighed a fan's hat. "Well, see you guys around!"

Robyn winked at Pierre as she skipped off to join Charles and Carlos near the Ferrari building.  Mai naturally assumed Robyn was a rather nice person because everyone seemed to wave at her as she went through the paddock.

They met with Yuki in the Alpha Tauri building, which is where Mai waited while they got ready for the race. She and Popcorn sat watching the commentary on the tv and looking around at everyone walking around the paddock. Mai stayed away from the garage until the cars had left it because she didn't want to the noise to hurt Popcorn.

"You are sure I will not get in the way?" Mai asked as they entered the garage.

"You won't," Pierre assured. "If you get in the way, someone will tell you to move anyway, if it means that much."

Mai nodded as she looked around the garage curiously. There was a lot doing on in the garage but more was happening on the grid, such as the cars behind being checked over and people walking around. 

"Good luck," said Mai kindly as Pierre had to go to get into the car.

"Thanks, Mai," Pierre smiled brightly.

═══ஓ๑ ♫ 🇸🇬 ♫ ๑ஓ═══

After going to her first Grand Prix, Mai still wouldn't admit that it was her kind of sport. She still didn't really like motorsport but she'd gained a large respect for those who worked in the field and drove. She learnt how much more happened in the sport so that was something.

As predicted, people were already starting to question who she was on social media and her following on Instagram had increased, not that she really cared all that much. She was more concerned with the sheer amount of Dms she now had to ignore.

The good news was that Mai didn't faint the entire time she was there, apart from one time when she was waiting for Yuki with Pierre. Luckily, they had been in Alpha Tauri hospitality area so Mai was able to just sit down. Their team doctor was kind enough to ask Pierre if Mai needed any help.

"Your world is crazy," said Mai lightly as they stepped in Huan's apartment building. "How do you deal with it?"

"Familiarity," Pierre shrugged. "How do you deal with your world?"

"Well, I can just go backstage and stay there until i have to play," Mai chuckled. "I don't have to do a million media duties or talk to engineers."

"It's just my job," Pierre smiled. "So...not really your style?"

"Not really my style," Mai shook her head. "It's good what you do, you are good at it. I just...I can't see the enjoyment from my side."

"I get it, can't be for everyone," Pierre nodded. "Mai, can I tell you something?"

Mai bit her lip and nodded, noticing the way Pierre began to look slightly nervous but excited all at the same time. Mai was a reasonably obvious person but even she knew something was up.

"Mai I really like you."

"I like you too Pierre, you're fun."

"I mean in a not-so-friend way," Pierre concluded.

"Oh," Mai sucked in a breath. "It has nothing to do with you Pierre or me not having feelings for you but I gave up that a long time ago. Love...it doesn't exist and if it does, it doesn't last. I cannot keep having my heart get broken."

"But Mai, if you don't give it a chance, how do you know it'll get broken?"

"Pierre, love is a fairytale," Mai whispered. "It's...it's a dream at best. What you feel for me is just attraction and it won't last."

"You're wrong Mai and you'll see that one day," Pierre replied softly. "I respect your decision though."

"Thanks," Mai gave him a shy smile.

Pierre may have respected her decision but he knew she was wrong. Pierre Gasly had given himself a new mission; to prove to Mai Chen that love was not a fairytale.

 Pierre Gasly had given himself a new mission; to prove to Mai Chen that love was not a fairytale