Chapter One

Angelica's POV

Angelica's POV

23 February 2023

11:45 English Class

As I sat in my English class, I grew increasingly bored. The sound of laptop keyboards clacking filled the room, while others were engrossed in their work. I sat there staring at the screen, rereading the same sentence over and over again.

'Without the warmth of human connection, our souls wither in the fast emptiness of isolation.'

Suddenly, my phone pinged and I took it out of my pocket to see that my mom had messaged me.

Mom 🩷
Hey, sweetie.
I just wanted to see if you can make it to Friday's dinner?

Overwhelmed by the situation at home, I didn't respond immediately. I have to get used to a stepfather, six stepbrothers, and prepare for a tennis match this weekend. But then I realized my mom would assume I had no plans for the weekend, so I texted her back.

Me
Hi mom.
I'm not really sure.
I have training and I also have to study for a history test.

After texting my mother, the bell rang, signaling lunchtime. I stood up to grab my bag, and Bianca, my best friend, walked into the classroom and headed towards me.

Bianca and I have been best friends since my first tennis lesson. She asked me if I ever played tennis, and I said no. Ever since that day, we have been best friends.

"Are you ready to go?" she asked.

"Yeah, I just need to put this away," I answered, gesturing to the laptop in my hand.

"Why can't you just leave it here like the rest of the class?" she asked.

I shrugged.

"Oh come on. Catherine and Danika already got us a table and got the chips you like. Just leave it here. I'm sure somebody will come get it and put it away. Please?" she pleaded, taking my hand.

"Okay, fine." I sighed, giving in.

12:05 Lunch

"Okay, so you're not going to that dinner?" Danika asked.

Right now, we were outside, sitting at a picnic table, eating our lunch and discussing what we were going to do this weekend.

"No." I simply answered.

"Why?" Catherine asked, putting her phone back into her bag.

"Why? I have a tennis match against Olivia Davis, and I am not losing that match." I exaggerated.

Bianca, Danika, and Catherine exchanged knowing glances, with worried looks on their faces.

"Aren't you worried that you're going to make a bad impression by not going to that dinner?" Catherine asked, concerned.