The Long-Awaited Reunion

As the summer of 2000 gradually came to an end Sam longed for the return of his closes friend Tillie. Yes, he did have other friends Jafeer and Gabe being who he considered his closest friend group, but Tillie was a different type of friend to Sam. He wasn't exactly sure why he felt the way he did about her, but their friendship was stronger and he treasured it dearly unlike Jafeer and Gabe. Tillie was just Tillie. There was no like her in Sam minds, she was his first thought waking up and last thought falling asleep. She was his best friend and he was hers.

          Tillies parents sent her to live with her aunt Cassie in New York for the summer. The girl was in love with the big city and would dream of one day living in a small apartment in downtown New York. This dream was all she talked about, she could talk and talk and talk about it for hours. Sam unfortunately was stuck listening to it for hours but he didn't mind that much. He found it fascinating how a girl so young could have a dream as real as hers. He liked listening to her, even if it was nonsense half of the time her sweet angelic voice gave comfort to him and he waited all summer just to hear that voice again. 

            The two tried to call often and talk through AOL but it wasn't the same as them being together, he missed the way she'd talk with her hands, the way she'd tilt her head back covering her face while laughing, and most of all the little touches she'd give him. Tillie never thought twice of it as she'd always been that way with him, but Sams heart always seems to skip a beat when she'd brush against him, hold his hand, hug him, or put her head on his shoulder. You'd think he'd get used to it as it's been going on for years but the flutter in his heart never seemed to fade. It made him feel good, like he was protecting her from everything evil in the world like it was his job somehow to keep her safe. 

            The day had finally come, the day Tillie would finally come home. The day she would finally be able to see who she longed for. Sam. Sitting on the curb in front of her house playing with the rocks in the street turning his head at every passing car. His back towards hers. A smile slowly creped onto Tillies face as she saw him. It had been exactly 71 days since she'd seen her favorite person. She slowly creped towards him trying her hardest to be as silent as possible as she wanted to scare him. And that's exactly what she did. She jumped on him throwing her arms around his neck from the back laughing at his stunned reaction as he turned to see her face beside his as he smiled at her, 

"I was waiting for you I didn't notice you pull in." Same stated as he began to stand up as the girl let go of him.

"I guess you were too slow." The girl stated smiling up at him taking in all his features. "Did you get taller?" The girl quickly continued as she realized she was staring for a little too long. 

"Maybe you just got shorter." The boy retorted with a snort patting her head as he silently laughed at the look she gave him.

"Tillie." Her mother stated, "Don't leave your stuff on the ground." 

Before the girl could respond Sam had already picked up her dropped stuff helping her carry it into her house. 

"How sweet of you Sam, that's very kind of you." Tillies mother smiled at the boy showing her appreciation while giving her daughter a look of approval which she didn't quite understand. Tillie walked past her mother following the boy into her house while mocking her mother. 

           The two at last reached the girls room at which they both smiled at. Neither had seen the girls room in months. The moment the door opened Tillie collapsed onto her bed sighing looking at all her posters she missed dearly. Sam just watched her carefully out of the corner of his eye as he set down her stuff slightly closing the door behind him, keeping it just slightly cracked open. He stood there admiring her features, admiring everything about her. Her dark red hair attaching to the side of her porcelain skinned face covering her face from her true beauty. The girl lifted her head to look at the boy lightly smiling at his eyes already on her as she made her way over to him. 

The girl ever so softly put her arms over his shoulders as his made way to her lower back pulling her closer, holding her as if she would vanish at any second. 

"I missed you Sam, I loved it there, but it would've been better if you were there with me." The girls voice was muffled into the boys shoulder. 

"One day we'll go together, I promise." The boy stated hugging her just a little tighter as her strawberry perfume filled his senses. He knew how much New York meant to her, not fully understanding why but still supporting her in every way he knew how.

The girl nodded slowly letting go of the boy but grabbing his hand and pulling her towards her bed. 

"Tell me about New York." Sam smiled knowing the girl was waiting for him to ask confirming it was okay for her to tell him every detail. 

            Tillie smiled resting her head on her best friends shoulder as he wrapped his arm around her pulling her close only to go on explaining every little detail about her trip as the boy just sat there comfortably listening to her sweet voice he missed so dearly playing with her hair he loved so much as she went on and on for hours.