Chapter Eleven

In the distance, Honeypaw could see the moon reflecting on the river, shimmering like silver. She quickened her pace, heart pounding.

A sunrise had passed since the incident at the gathering. Hawthornstar increased the number of patrols, sometimes sending them out earlier than dawn, and ordered them to chase away any PineClan cat that dared set foot on SunClan territory.

Tension was growing between the two Clans. Honeypaw wasn't sure if there would ever be peace.

"Honeypaw," said Emberpaw, stepping out of the bushes. "I didn't think you'd come."

"Of course I would," purred Honeypaw, entwining her tail with his. She smiled. "Why wouldn't I?"

He flushed. "Er.." he stammered, unsure for a moment. "I don't know."

"You wanted me to come all the way out here," meowed Honeypaw. "So let's do something. How about we race to the barn?"

Emberpaw stared at her. Then, after a heartbeat, he said, "I'll win."

"You can try," teased Honeypaw. She took off suddenly, and Emberpaw, startled, shook off his surprise, tearing at the grass after her.

Wind rushed past her face, ruffling her fur. Honeypaw ran until she was out of breath, stumbling to a halt before she could collide headfirst into the barn.

Emberpaw appeared a moment later, completely winded. "You only won because you got a head start," he told her.

Honeypaw rolled her eyes. "I'm sure," she laughed, brushing against the PineClan apprentice. "Come on, maybe we can find a couple of mice in the barn."

The two trudged inside, thankful to be away from the cold. They blinked against the darkness, cool air rattling against the walls.

A warm scent wafted into Honeypaw's nose. She peered into the shadows, widening her eyes. "Prim?" she asked. She hadn't seen the queen in forever, since she toured the territory with Shellbright all those moons ago.

Behind her, her kit, Misha, gazed steadily at them. They were alone. "Storm and Snowball are gone," said Prim, shaking her head. "They were taken by my two-legs and sent to different homes all over. I haven't seen them since."

Honeypaw stared at Emberpaw, his gaze unreadable. She turned back to the queen. "I'm so sorry," she murmured. "Are you holding up alright?"

"Not really," Prim confessed. "But I'm glad you're here. I managed to hide Misha before she could be taken, but the two-legs aren't dumb. I know they'll come back to look for her."

She continued, "so I was wondering if you would take Misha back to SunClan with you. I want her to be raised as a warrior, to learn what it is like to live as a wild cat."

Misha raised her head. "Please let me come with you," she begged, her voice nearly drowned out by the merciless wind outside. She swallowed. "I don't want to be taken away. I love my mother, and I love it here in the barn with her, but I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't see her at all."

For a moment, Honeypaw was silent. Finally, she said, "of course you can come with me. We're always in need of warriors."

"Thank you," said Prim. She stepped forward, pressing her nose against the apprentice's shoulder. "Really. I don't know how I'll repay you."

"Don't mention it," Honeypaw told her. She licked Emberpaw's muzzle, wishing they could stay like this forever. Her words were full of remorse when she said, "I'm sorry, Emberpaw. I need to go."

"I know," meowed Emberpaw. He stumbled to his paws, shaking straw from his pelt. "We'll see each other again sometime. Bye, Honeypaw."

He disappeared over the moor. Honeypaw watched him go, feeling her shoulders sink. A part of her wondered how different her life would be if she had been born in PineClan, but she quickly shook the thought away. She loved her life in SunClan, and she loved her clanmates.

Still, she couldn't help but allow herself to dream.

Misha nuzzled her mother, promising that she'd visit. Prim licked her cheek. "You're so grown-up now," the queen sighed. "I'm so proud of you."

Honeypaw closed her eyes. "Come on, Misha," she meowed, taking her aside. "Let's go home."